Windows Server 2008 SP2 stops responding as multiple services timeout

There is another thread open under the "General" section. I was asked to post it here. I have left the other thread open because I believe this is not just applicable to the Remote Desktop Services Role. (http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/winservergen/thread/94b0d7f7-6a26-4795-8c1f-ffee1ac309aa/)

Hey everyone,

I have now seen this issue happen on multiple Windows Server 2008 Terminal server setups. The services that time out are not exactly the same across all the servers, but a number of them are the same on all of them.

Here are the lists of services that timed out on one of these servers, along with the time it happened.

• 80237AM - A timeout (30000 milliseconds) was reached while waiting for a transaction response from the AudioEndpointBuilder service.
  • 80307AM - A timeout (30000 milliseconds) was reached while waiting for a transaction response from the BITS service.
  • 80237AM - A timeout (30000 milliseconds) was reached while waiting for a transaction response from the CertPropSvc service.
  • 80407AM - A timeout (30000 milliseconds) was reached while waiting for a transaction response from the CryptSvc service.
  • 80437AM - A timeout (30000 milliseconds) was reached while waiting for a transaction response from the Netman service.
  • 80507AM - A timeout (30000 milliseconds) was reached while waiting for a transaction response from the NlaSvc service.
  • 80537AM - A timeout (30000 milliseconds) was reached while waiting for a transaction response from the RasMan service.
  • 80607AM - A timeout (30000 milliseconds) was reached while waiting for a transaction response from the Schedule service.
  • 80637AM - A timeout (30000 milliseconds) was reached while waiting for a transaction response from the seclogon service.
  • 80707AM - A timeout (30000 milliseconds) was reached while waiting for a transaction response from the ShellHWDetection service.
  • 80737AM - A timeout (30000 milliseconds) was reached while waiting for a transaction response from the UmRdpService service.
  • 80807AM - A timeout (30000 milliseconds) was reached while waiting for a transaction response from the UxSms service.
  • 80837AM - A timeout (30000 milliseconds) was reached while waiting for a transaction response from the WinVNC4 service.
  • 80851AM - The Terminal Server security layer detected an error in the protocol stream and has disconnected the client.
  • 80907AM - A timeout (30000 milliseconds) was reached while waiting for a transaction response from the WPDBusEnum service.
  • 80938AM - A timeout (30000 milliseconds) was reached while waiting for a transaction response from the wuauserv service.
  • 81008AM - A timeout (30000 milliseconds) was reached while waiting for a transaction response from the ShellHWDetection service.

In the end, the server has to be restarted for us to access it and for users to connect to it.

Doing some research, I cam across this KB article (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/972596/), but not sure if it applies to this situation. I have seen other people post about this issue, but haven't come across anything that states the cause and resolution.

Has anyone else faced this or is facing it at the moment?

Any tips or suggestions would be great!

Thanks a lot!

Warm regards,
Sri

July 28th, 2011 1:56am

There is another thread open under the "General" section. I was asked to post it here. I have left the other thread open because I believe this is not just applicable to the Remote Desktop Services Role. (http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/winservergen/thread/94b0d7f7-6a26-4795-8c1f-ffee1ac309aa/)

Hey everyone,

I have now seen this issue happen on multiple Windows Server 2008 Terminal server setups. The services that time out are not exactly the same across all the servers, but a number of them are the same on all of them.

Here are the lists of services that timed out on one of these servers, along with the time it happened.

• 80237AM - A timeout (30000 milliseconds) was reached while waiting for a transaction response from the AudioEndpointBuilder service.
  • 80307AM - A timeout (30000 milliseconds) was reached while waiting for a transaction response from the BITS service.
  • 80237AM - A timeout (30000 milliseconds) was reached while waiting for a transaction response from the CertPropSvc service.
  • 80407AM - A timeout (30000 milliseconds) was reached while waiting for a transaction response from the CryptSvc service.
  • 80437AM - A timeout (30000 milliseconds) was reached while waiting for a transaction response from the Netman service.
  • 80507AM - A timeout (30000 milliseconds) was reached while waiting for a transaction response from the NlaSvc service.
  • 80537AM - A timeout (30000 milliseconds) was reached while waiting for a transaction response from the RasMan service.
  • 80607AM - A timeout (30000 milliseconds) was reached while waiting for a transaction response from the Schedule service.
  • 80637AM - A timeout (30000 milliseconds) was reached while waiting for a transaction response from the seclogon service.
  • 80707AM - A timeout (30000 milliseconds) was reached while waiting for a transaction response from the ShellHWDetection service.
  • 80737AM - A timeout (30000 milliseconds) was reached while waiting for a transaction response from the UmRdpService service.
  • 80807AM - A timeout (30000 milliseconds) was reached while waiting for a transaction response from the UxSms service.
  • 80837AM - A timeout (30000 milliseconds) was reached while waiting for a transaction response from the WinVNC4 service.
  • 80851AM - The Terminal Server security layer detected an error in the protocol stream and has disconnected the client.
  • 80907AM - A timeout (30000 milliseconds) was reached while waiting for a transaction response from the WPDBusEnum service.
  • 80938AM - A timeout (30000 milliseconds) was reached while waiting for a transaction response from the wuauserv service.
  • 81008AM - A timeout (30000 milliseconds) was reached while waiting for a transaction response from the ShellHWDetection service.

In the end, the server has to be restarted for us to access it and for users to connect to it.

Doing some research, I cam across this KB article (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/972596/), but not sure if it applies to this situation. I have seen other people post about this issue, but haven't come across anything that states the cause and resolution.

Has anyone else faced this or is facing it at the moment?

Any tips or suggestions would be great!

Thanks a lot!

Warm regards,
Sri

I have exactly same problem with my two Terminal Servers (Windows 2008 SP2) and I dont find any resolution.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
July 31st, 2011 6:41pm

I have installed the fix KB972596, in monday I will know if works.
July 31st, 2011 6:46pm

I bet you have the HP Universal Print driver installed on the machines?

I manage two farms, a Citrix XenApp 6.0 farm for GIS applications and an RDS farm for office applications.  We ran into a similar issue on our Citrix farm due to the higher utilization of printing large maps; the issue was caused by the HP Universal Print driver.  The UPD has two services that manage bidirectional printer communications, these two services are installed via a couple of MSI packages in the driver package.  Every time someone would logon to the server farm, the installation services would kick off trying to install these services; even if the user doesn’t have the rights to install applications or services.  The process fails but retries over and over again for each user logging onto the server.  Needless to say, this causes many problems including causing process to wait until handles free up; which will lockup a Citrix/RDS server with just a few users.  I’ve been working on this problem for well over a year trying to resolve it in many different patches, versions and hacks.  I tried to zero bit the two msi packages responsible for the installations, test dlls from HP and the latest version of the UPD (v5.3).  In addition, the UPD does not work well on our print cluster, performance was horrific.  Our final solution was to remove the UPD from our environment but I ran into other issues with the UPD with uninstalling it.  Companies should be help responsible for releasing crap like the HP UPD.

To verify that your problem is the UPD, try to logon to the console of a machine experiencing the problem, attempt to cycle the print spooler. It will fail to shut down; kill spoolsv.exe with the task manager.   If it’s a Citrix server, you’ll need to cycle the Citrix spooler service also, cpsvc.exe.  Restart the services and the machine will begin processing aging.

Google “HP UPD Citrix”, read then remove the driver from your environment.  The other solutions don’t work as the replacement dll and/or zero bite msi files will get replaced by other print server in your environment; causing the problem to occur again.

Hope the best for you as this problem has caused me many sleepless nights and much graying.

Mitch

July 31st, 2011 10:38pm

Mitch

In my environment not exist HP UPD (Universal Printer Driver), I performed of the spooler tests with success, as you explained. I will continue the researches about the case and try to find a solution.

After install the fix KB972596 my Servers (Windows 2008 SP2 64bits - Terminal Servers) are not frozen, today was a first day in production without problems.

Let´s see tomorrow

AG Fogaça

August 2nd, 2011 12:54am

Mitch, thanks for your response.

I know some of our sites have the HP UPD installed, but not certain if those are the only sites exhibiting this problem. I will check that and update this post.

It's unfortunate if it is being caused by this driver.

Sri

August 2nd, 2011 1:54am

Andre,

Please let me know how it has been going for you since you installed the KB fix.

Has the issue happened since then?

I do hope it fixes your problems, as well as mine!

Thanks!

Sri

August 2nd, 2011 1:56am

Will the fix work for the R2 release of server 2008? it usually specifies if it does... i just want to confirm. 

I've have the same errors but i have a TermDD event 56 "The Terminal Server security layer detected an error in the protocol stream and has disconnected the client" just before or after the errors. I'll try looking for the HP UPD. 

August 2nd, 2011 10:40am

Same here.  We find if we stop the UmRdpService, delete all printers, then restart the service printing will work but users but login to get their printers back.
August 2nd, 2011 11:58pm

Are you still facing the event 56 error? Tried anything to resolve it? I too have seen it at some of our client sites.

August 8th, 2011 1:36am

Sorry to unmark this as an aswer, but I have not had a chance to test this suggestion. Was hoping others could confirm this potential fix as well.
August 8th, 2011 1:37am

We use only the printer drivers included in 2008/2008 R2 and a majority of our users use the easy print driver.  We still have the same issue.  Around 250 users sign into the server and the UmRdpservice starts to slowly use more memory.  Eventually the timeout error starts and UmRdpService eats more and more memory until eventually printing stops responding.  We can kill the UmRdpSerivce and restart the print spooler and this will get printing working again but now all users must login and log out.  

As of now I have no resolution other than to put less users on each box.

August 10th, 2011 12:08am

We have no HP software installed on any of our server nor do we have any HP printers in our office, its specific to one user even if he rdp's from an different PC it still gives these errors.

August 10th, 2011 1:36pm

So, after the umrdpservice timing out and not creating new printers I had to call Microsoft.  Over the period of months they have identified an issue where the umrdpservice can get stuck and stop creating printers.  I'm not sure about the other services in this post.

They are going to work on a hotfix (if they accept the request) and will address that part of it.  Not sure when that will happen.

November 30th, 2011 1:10am

Did Microsoft release a fix for this? We're having the same problem.
December 21st, 2011 4:02pm

Not yet, they are working on it and hopefully it will come out next month.
January 3rd, 2012 12:28am

Any news on the Hotfix?  Got the same, Random freezes on TS'es.

February 6th, 2012 2:12pm

So we have a terminal server and we are seeing the same event log errors. Along with the countless  (A timeout (30000 milliseconds) was reached while )  errors, we are also seeing the following event log id's and I'm not sure on whether they are all related.

Event ID 56 - The Terminal Server security layer detected an error in the protocol stream and has disconnected the client. Client IP: X.X.X.X.X

Event ID 50 -  The RDP protocol component X.224 detected an error in the protocol stream and has disconnected the client.  

EVENT 7011 - A timeout (30000 milliseconds) was reached while waiting for a transaction response from the Netman service.  

• Edited by chrismatt83 Friday, February 17, 2012 2:39 PM
February 17th, 2012 5:37pm

We are encountering the same issues on our Server 2008 R2 RDS server.

The HP UPD was installed at one point, but has since been removed. I have been trying to resolve this for months and it really is difficult to track down.

Especially in our environment where we have PCs connecting from where we have little administrative control over their printer acquisition and usage. I have tied down the "A timeout (30000 milliseconds) was reached while waiting for a transaction response from the UmRdpService service." errors from being caused when users logoff from an RDS session.

This happens randomly (I.E not after every log off), but when a user logs off, exactly 30 seconds later, these errors occur and printer redirection fails for new connections. From various other threads on this issue, I have followed others in stopping and disabling 2 HP services on the RDS server, as well as clients, but we are still having the print spooler/UmRdpService crashes.
The services are:

Net Driver HPZ12
Pml Driver HPZ12

Does anyone haveany more clues?
  • Edited by mjtibbz Friday, February 24, 2012 7:13 PM
February 24th, 2012 10:10pm

i've installed following KB last TUE 7/03, but it just frozen not long ago ( today )

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2465772

no RDP/ICA new connection possible. ( ping, map a drive, manage computer still working though )

( W2K08R2 Sp1, 16GB RAM Citrix xenapp65 with HF X64014 installed on VMware ESX41 )

any other help?

March 11th, 2012 7:09pm

Sorry, I haven't been following this thread in awhile...

We are still fighting this issue on and off  Currently what I know about the issue includes the post above from last year and the points below:

The effected print drivers include and HP driver that utilizes the cioum.dll that controls communication between the printer and client.  Many HP drivers utilize this dll in addition to the UPD; a couple of the MS in-box or Native drivers also include this dll. HP knows about this problem but refuses to fix it.  HP has a in-house private fix that will correct the issue for sometime but by the nature of print driver updates, the cioum.dll gets replaced with an updated version.  The date of the dll is 8/28/2008, i know the month and day is correct but the year might be off

For us, the problem was exacerbated by poor authentication performance; our domain controller was over loaded and not on site.  Once we installed a local DC, the problem has diminished. We still continue to have the problem but it was only occasional until recently, now it has returned in full force for some reason.   We are looking at third party printing solutions to remove all print drivers from the system as a final solution. 

A solution we are currently using, which isnt pretty, is to write a script to kill spoolsv.exe and the Citrix print  management service and restart them both.  Add a task scheduler event triggered on System Event ID 7011 to cycle the spooler before the problem gets out of control. Also include and e-mail notice so you know when it happens.

Mitch

March 11th, 2012 8:19pm

http://forums.citrix.com/thread.jspa?threadID=302840&start=75&tstart=0

• Edited by Rommel NC Tuesday, March 20, 2012 4:32 PM previous URL incomplete
March 20th, 2012 7:25pm

Ok we have finally reached a solution for our Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1 RDS Server.

Basically removing all third party print drivers, doing a registry cleanup and setting the policy to use the Remote Desktop Easy Print Driver first.

Note that clients need .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 installed in order to use Easy Print!

Also we do not run Citrix in our environment.

1) I un-installed ALL third party drivers

2) Removed any traces in the registry relating to the third party print processors and monitors left over from these drivers being installed (which were still left behind even after removing the driver packages from printmanagement.msc

The registry keys for the print processors are

HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Print\Windows NT X86\Print Processors

and

HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Print\Windows X64\Print Processors

LEAVE WINPRINT!

and for the print monitors

HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Print\Monitors

I removed every monitor except the default Server 2008 R2 monitors. So currently there are "Local Port", "Standard TCP/IP Port","USB Monitor", "WSD Port"

This step may not be necessary after removing the driver package through printmanagement.msc but I wanted NO trace of these third party drivers left on the server at all.

3) I then changed the local policy to use the TS Easy Print Driver FIRST, under:

Local Compuer Policy\Computer Configuration\Administrative Templates\Remote Desktop Services\Remote Desktop Session Host\Printer Redirection\

set "Use Remote Desktop Easy Print printer driver first" = ENABLED

Note that we had previously disabled this setting because many of our clients are XP SP3 and lacked the .NET Framework 3.5 SP1, which is a pre-requisite for clients to be able to use the Easy Print Driver.

We had deployed the exact printer drivers to our clients prior to upgrading to Server 2008, so disabling this was easier option and loading the same drivers on the server, but whatever happend to cause these crashes happend so we were forced to use the easy print driver and eliminate all thirdy part drivers.

All is fine now, thankfully.

March 23rd, 2012 3:31pm

For all those with HP drivers installed, and as per mitchmeade 's description, you can read more about this at http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?objectID=c01682835

A fix may only be available with HP, unless you would like to implement the workarounds mentioned every time you face the issue (it does not look like a permanent fix, it keeps manifesting itself again).

March 26th, 2012 4:07am

Also having the same problem as described on previous posts. 

Server 2008 R2 environment, printer redirection fails intermittently with event 7011 UmRdpService.

A workaround I found without rebooting the server is, 

1. Stop the print spooler service 
2. Open up CMD, type in net stop umrdpservice and press the return key. 
3. Start Print Spooler
4. On CMD, type in net start umrdpservice and press the return key. 

The users will have to kill their session, close app or disconnect them from RD Session Manager. re-establish the connection and printers start redirecting again. 

I cant look at TS Easy Print as my clients are running thin clients with XP SP2 embedded. 

My question is, what causes the umrdp service to time out? At this point I am considering somehow listening for the event and applying the fix by scripting it so it applies the fix with minimal support calls. 

BTW, contacted HP about this. Their recommendation is that you should be using the specific drivers for the printer and not the universal printing driver? Just thought I will mention that. 

Thanks for the link Tushar, going to try that tomorrow. 

March 29th, 2012 5:30pm

Found this MS hotfix via a Citrix KB post:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2465772

http://support.citrix.com/article/CTX131518/

Testing now to see if this resolves the issue  Seems to address the Event ID 7011 messages we have been watching.

Mitch

• Proposed as answer by black_bird2 Thursday, October 31, 2013 4:45 AM
June 28th, 2012 2:15am

Can anyone confirm the fix http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2465772 has solved the issue?
  • Proposed as answer by black_bird2 Thursday, October 31, 2013 4:45 AM
  • Unproposed as answer by black_bird2 Thursday, October 31, 2013 4:45 AM
July 13th, 2012 10:21am

This has Resolved the Issue

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc756342%28v=ws.10%29.aspx

August 1st, 2012 1:08am

Over a year old but this helped me out after two days of frustration. Thank you. Thought I would post in case others go searching in future for a solution.
  • Proposed as answer by ZONICT Wednesday, November 20, 2013 7:55 PM
October 31st, 2013 7:46am

we have the same problem, Can you tell me the solution

November 20th, 2013 10:59pm

Hi,

Did anyone find a real solution for this? We are struggling with this for more than 2 months now.

Thanks!

November 26th, 2013 11:56am

I have the same thing happening on a Server 2008 R2 server (No Citrix)
December 5th, 2013 5:21pm

IT worked for me thanx;

Had the same problem on Citrix server , IT turned out to be Konica Minolta UPD;

December 25th, 2013 12:39pm

I have the same thing happening on a Server 2008 R2 Server.

A timeout (60000 milliseconds) was reached while waiting for a transaction response from the UxSms Service.

This issue is logged for three days and users who connected via rdp can't print anymore.

• Proposed as answer by CTXTAR 1 hour 52 minutes ago
  • Unproposed as answer by CTXTAR 1 hour 52 minutes ago
March 13th, 2014 4:39pm

I have used HP UPD (Universal Printer Driver) in many years, without any problems .... until now.

I installed the HP UPD version 5.8.0 and it hang the Spooler service - but uninstalling it again with PrintDetective.exe from Citrix, made the spooler problem go away.

Now using the "old" HP UPD version 5.6.5 without problems !

March 31st, 2014 4:51am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics