Windows Server 2008 SP2 computer account does not show up on Active Directory
I have a print server w/ W2008 SP2 that for some reason does not come up when searching the computer name account on AD. I can browse the server by name and IP to connect to the shared printers and shared folders. I've tried taken off the domain and putting it back, but no luck. I also tried manually creating the computer account, but AD tells me that the name already exists. The main reason I need to find the Computer account on AD is that I need to move this server to an OU where we apply windows update via group policy. Othewise, it will not get any updates.
July 5th, 2011 3:18pm

Hi, Very bizare issue...are you sure you are searching for computer objects? K
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
July 5th, 2011 3:38pm

Weird indeed and yes, I am searching for computers objects. What makes it hard is that everything tells me that the machine is on our domain. As I stated earlier, I can browse the shared printers and folders, able to login to domain with no problems. So far, no users have complained of any issues regarding printing services. It is also a dhcp server by the way. I just can't find the computer name/object on AD to be able to move to another OU.
July 5th, 2011 4:50pm

and via dsquery maybe you can get the location from there. (http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc730720(WS.10).aspx) K
July 5th, 2011 5:20pm

If the NetBIOS name of the computer is MyServer, the following at the command prompt of a DC will retrieve the Distinguished Name of the computer, which indicates where in AD the object resides: dsquery * -filter "(sAMAccountName=MyServer$)" The sAMAccountName (pre-Windows 2000 name) of a computer is the NetBIOS name with a trailing "$" character appended. Richard Mueller - MVP Directory Services
July 5th, 2011 5:36pm

I used your query to find my server and it came back with some random server name on AD, "randomservername:5dfe6e-d514d2-d522..." After checking the properties of this computer object, the computer and dns name matched that of my missing server. I'm not sure how and why this happened, but I've gone ahead and deleted the weird name and created a new one for my missing server. thanks for the help,
July 6th, 2011 12:52pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics