Windows Server 2008 SP2 In place upgrade hangs at expanding files
Hello, I have an HP DL380 which I have run the HP Smart Guide firmware and driver upgrade on and installed all new drivers ect and re-booted. I then installed Windows Server 2008 SP2 x86 as an in place upgrade (which I have installed on another server yesterday so the media is OK). It is stuck at expanding files 21%... and has been for the last 45 minutes. I know there is a command prompt you can get to by pressing SHIFT & F10. Setup.exe is going between 12-13%. The upgrade check also went OK, is there anything else I can do apart from wait to verfiy the install is still proceeding. Also should I choose to re-boot would I lose the original OS and settings? Kind regards, Ryan
January 6th, 2012 3:32pm

I have now re-booted the server and it is trying to rollback to the previous operating system, I have used the Smart Guide 9.3 software and it is a G5 server which is on the HP and Windows Server 2008 compatibility list.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
January 6th, 2012 4:40pm

Hi, Installing the Windows server 2008 SP2 hung at expanding files. Could you please let me know whether there are some software installed on the Windows Server 2008 or not? Such as SQL or third party software, if so please temporarily disable them, then tried to install Windows Server 2008 SP2 again to verify whether it could be installed properly or not. At the same time, you could look into the application logging file and system logging file to verify whether the SP2 installed properly or not. Also you could check the following file and let me know your findings. %SYSTEMROOT%\Logs\CBS\CheckSUR.log %SYSTEMROOT%\Logs\CBS\CheckSUR.persist.log Regards, JamesJames Xiong TechNet Community Support
January 9th, 2012 12:09pm

Hi, Any Update? JamesJames Xiong TechNet Community Support
February 4th, 2012 7:50pm

Good morning James, I have run an inplace upgrade for other HP DL380 G5's and they upgraded to Windows Server 2008 x86 SP2 in a couple of hours. This is only affected one server from a larger pool of similar systems. It did upgrade but it took over 7 hours. As a precaution I stop all McAfee related services as well prior to the inplace upgrade. Thanks for your assistance though. Kind regards, Ryan
February 5th, 2012 5:21am

We have same problem here except that mine is not a physical server but VM. windows server 2003 Enterprise Ed. DC upgrade to 2008r2 Enterprise Ed DC. I don't have a AV Anti-virus in the server. It is a newly created VM DC server 2003 to be upgrade in 2008r2 DC. Any help guys? Thanks, Pinoy Maximus
May 20th, 2012 11:57pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics