Windows Server 2008 Repair/Restore
In changing permissions on my C: drive to allowMS updates to install and services to be allowed to start I have managed tomess up much more. I can not boot into my Server 2008 box even in safe mode. I've attempted tochange the loading of some drivers with WinPE but i'm pretty much shooting in the dark. Is there a way to invoke a Repairfrom the windows 2008 server install disk? Seems my only option is to go to command prompt, but not sure what to do there.Thanks
December 18th, 2008 10:48pm

Hi, The legacy repair option is no longer available in Windows Server 2008 because Windows Server 2008 uses image based deployment now. Do you have recent server backup available? If so, you can restore the system to the previous working state by using the backup. Usually, we recommend that you backup the important data and server in a regular time. It will help you to restore the server back to the normal state from the unexpected failure. If a system backup is unavailable, you may try the following suggestions to see whether they can be of assistance: Suggestion 1 --------------- You can perform the following steps to run SFC in Recovery Console to repair the boot files. 1: Boot from Windows Install Media (Windows Vista or Windows Server 2008 DVD) 2: At the Welcome to Setup screen choose the link for repair instead of clicking OK. 3: At the repair menu choose Command Prompt. 4: At the command print type the following command. "SFC /Scannow /OffBootDir=C:\ /OffWinDir=C:\Windows" NOTE: /OffBootDir should point to the root of the volume that contains the boot files. /OffWinDir should poiont to the root of the folder the OS is installed in. Suggestion 2 ---------------- Can it boot now? If this problem continues, Id like to suggest you booting into Last Known Good mode to see whether it works. The Last Known Good Configuration feature is a recovery option that you can use to start your computer by using the most recent settings that worked. The Last Known Good Configuration feature restores registry information and driver settings that were in effect the last time the computer started successfully. To do so, please perform the following steps: 1. Restart the computer. 2. Keep pressing the F8 key until the Windows Startup menu appears. 3. Select "Last Known Good Configuration" and press ENTER. If this problem continues, please help collect the following information so that I can have a better idea as to the exact issue. However, please understand that you may need to perform a clean installation of Windows to resolve this issue because some system security settings and system files may be corrupted according to your description. 1. Could you please describe the symptom in detail? Did you receive any error messages when you boot the server? If so, please let me know the exact error WORD BY WORD. 2. Do you know which stage the system fails to boot? Best Regards, Vincent Hu
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
December 19th, 2008 1:36pm

Hi, I want to repair a Windows Server 2008 R2 using the procedure you describe above but when I do the step 4: At the command print type the following command. "SFC /Scannow /OffBootDir=C:\ /OffWinDir=C:\Windows" Then I get the error message: Windows Resource Protection could not start the repair service. Thanks,This posting is provided AS-IS with no warranties or guarantees and confers no rights.
July 14th, 2011 6:03am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics