Windows Server 2008 R2 not writing Small memory dump

Hello,

I have a physical server running Windows Server 2008 R2 with SP1 included, that when crashes does not write a memory dump file. At the moment it is set to write a Small memory dump (256 KB).

If I chose Kernel memory dump and click OK, I am prompted with a information:
"Windows might not be able to record details that could help identify system errors because your current paging file is disabled or less than 800 megabytes. Click OK to return to the virtual memory settings window, enable paging file, and set the size to a value over 800 megabytes, or click cancel to change memory dump selection."

The server has 32 GB of RAM and currently 28673 MB allocated as virtual memory, but not on the system drive.

According to article https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/969028 "In Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2, to get a Memory Dump, the paging file does not have to be on the same partition as the partition on which the operating system is installed. To put a paging file on another partition, it is not mandatory to use DedicatedDumpFile registry entry.".

So, I wonder what is the problem here. Any help would be much appreciated.

Best regards,
Mircea

• Edited by Mircea G 21 hours 10 minutes ago more details
September 2nd, 2015 5:54am

By default memory dump can be created only if the paging files is on the c:\, or the root drive. The registry key seem to offer a workaround.

What is it?

The dedicated dump file is basically a page file that is reserved for use only by the system crash dump routines.  It is not used for paging virtual memory.  Like a page file, the system process keeps an open handle to the dedicated dump file, which prevents it from being deleted.  When you manually initiate a memory dump, or the system crashes on its own, the data is written into the dedicated dump file instead of the page file on the system drive.  This feature is enabled by setting the following registry value:

Location:   HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\CrashControl

Name: DedicatedDumpFile

Type:  REG_SZ

Value: A dedicated dump file together with a full path, such as D:\dedicateddumpfile.sys

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
September 2nd, 2015 10:21pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics