Windows Server 2008 R2 internet connection issues
Hello all, First off I am unsure as to if this is the correct forum to post this into, so if any of you have a suggested forum I will post in that one also. The issue is that here at my workplace we (boss and I) recently have set up a new webserver with Windows Server 2008 R2 OS. Neither of us are too familiar with 2008, so it has been quite a learning experience already trying to solve this issue. We have connected the server to our local internal network and were able to browse the web, etc.. via DHCP server address. Though, we have moved the server to its permanent location in which it is now connected directly to the internet via a hub. Here we have a correct ip address, subnet, gateway, dns, etc.. in attempt to set up a static IP address for the server for it is not to be on our network. We have tested the IP settings used (this is IPv4 fyi) on a spare laptop and it worked successfully. But on the server we have been having issues with the server accepting the static IP address (this is of course when the laptop is unplugged or switched back to DHCP). When an ipconfig /all is run the results give us the Autoconfiguration address as the <preferred> IP and the static address we want (IPv4 address) as the <Duplicate>. So, while the static IP is in place, the network and sharing center shows the server connected to the network, but no access to the internet. We need to be able to get access to the internet is the main goal here. Methods Tried: 1. Disabling autoconfiguration in the registry (hive and key on http://www.itechtalk.com/thread1822.html forum) 2. Using multiple IP addresses (all available) 3. A few other things that have become lost in my mind over time working on this... If anyone has any suggestions, questions, comments, they will be much appreciated and I will gladly answer any questions. Thank you in advance. Thanks, JCTech35
July 31st, 2010 12:46am

Can you post unedited ipconfig /all from member server and domain controller? Regards, Dave Patrick .... Microsoft Certified Professional -Microsoft MVP [Windows]
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
July 31st, 2010 6:04am

This has been solved internally. Reinstalled Server 2008 Web Edition and a missing tab my boss had been searching for showed up. Still unsure why the tab was missing in the first installation. Thank you for your consideration though Dave Patrick. Thanks, JCTech35
August 4th, 2010 10:02pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics