Windows Server 2008 R2 folder and file synchrinization
hi all, do you know any way that i can use to synchronize a folder from one win08 server to another win08? the idea is copy all folder structure from one server to another, i dont want to use dfs replication because these servers are not on domain, they are front end web servers i am thing about xcopy or robocopy but if i understand right this working having destination folder on share? is that right? (not a good idea to share folder on front end web servers) any feedback wil be welcome Regards
June 1st, 2011 5:59am

hey again, after some test i used robocopy with no share folder but setting destination folder with "server\c$\destination folder" a work arroung not to use shared folder is there is any better idea on this will be welcome to hear thanks
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
June 1st, 2011 6:22am

Hi, Unlike Copy and XCopy, Robocopy is designed for reliable copy or mirroring of entire folders of any size, and in the copying process, ensure that all NTFS ACLS, attributes, owner information, alternate data streams, auditing information, timestamps and properties are copied except security information unless explicitly requested with /COPYALL switch. Also, Robocopy works over network connections that are subject to disruption or outages with resume copying feature, and has progress indicator on the command line that is useful when copying large files. Also, the destination can be drive:\path or \\server\share\path. If you want to copy file or folders from one server to another, the proper share and NTFS permissions must be set. For more information on how to use the commands, please run “Robocopy /?” and “XCopy /?”. Thanks. NinaPlease remember to click Mark as Answer on the post that helps you, and to click Unmark as Answer if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
June 3rd, 2011 3:24am

Hey Xaris, You are right, it is not advisable to share folders in front end web servers. There was a same requirement for me. So, I created a sftp server and used WinSCP tool to keep the folders in sync. WinSCP doesn't use UNC concept, it uses sftp(port 22) or ftp(port 21). You just need to create a sftp server(i m using CopSSH) in one box and run WinSCP tool(from the other box). Its a freeware :) Batch file to run Winscp: C: cd\ cd "C:\Program Files (x86)\WinSCP" WinSCP.exe <userid>:<password>@<sftp server IP> /script=sync.txt /log=dfftp.log /timeout=120 exit sync.txt:(below are winscp commands) synchronize local -delete "local folder" <destination folder> Hope this will help...
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
June 3rd, 2011 5:15am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics