Windows Server 2008 R2 and SBS2008 patches taking a long time to install.
Hello everyone Lately I've notice that when patching 2k8 and SBS2k8 at different sites they seem to take a long time to finish patching. After installing the monthly patch the server reboots and would enter a scan of the registry. Something like xxx/xxxxxxx \Registry\machine\Schema\wcm://Microsoft... This only happens when we patch and does not happen when we just do a normal reboot of the server. Does anyone know why it is taking so long? and what this registry scan is doing? Thanks!
February 18th, 2011 11:49pm

Hi westcort123, According to my experience, some patch updates Windows Registry key, which is a normal behavior. As you have encountered a long time to finish patching update, could you please check how many patches did you update at that time and what is the patch number? Thanks. ScorprioTechNet Software Assurance Managed Newsgroup MCTS: Windows Vista | Exchange Server 2007 MCITP: Enterprise Support Technician | Server & Enterprise Admin | System Architect
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
February 19th, 2011 10:52pm

Hi, I would like to share the following sites: A patch may take as long or longer to install than the target product http://blogs.msdn.com/b/heaths/archive/2011/02/20/a-patch-may-take-as-long-or-longer-to-install-than-the-target-product.aspx A simple fix for Microsoft Update problems http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/techofalltrades/a-simple-fix-for-microsoft-update-problems/130 Best Regards DalePlease remember to click Mark as Answer on the post that helps you, and to click Unmark as Answer if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
February 22nd, 2011 1:11am

I installed the following patches over the weekend. Security Update for Windows Server 2008 x64 Edition (KB2423089) Security Update for Windows Server 2008 x64 Edition (KB2436673) Security Update for Windows Server 2008 x64 Edition (KB2207559) Update for Internet Explorer for Windows Server 2008 x64 Edition (KB2467659) Security Update for Windows Server 2008 x64 Edition (KB2442962) Security Update for Windows Server 2008 x64 Edition (KB2296199) Security Update for Windows Server 2008 x64 Edition (KB2305420) Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer 7 for Windows Server 2008 x64 Edition (KB2416400)
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
February 22nd, 2011 12:39pm

Did you install the patches at one time? Please try to install the patches one by one and see if the performance gets better. BTW, I noticed that you dispatch the patches at different sites, please test to install the patches locally or in the same site, and see if the issue occurs the same. Best Regards DalePlease remember to click Mark as Answer on the post that helps you, and to click Unmark as Answer if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
February 22nd, 2011 9:55pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics