Windows Server 2008 R2 Network Problem
Dear All, I have aproblem with my new Windows Server2008 R2 which has 2 Network Interface Cards LAN and Net ones, the first one is configured with local IP Address and the second one is configured with an Internet IP Address. My problem is that i can't combine these two networks like i used to in windows server 2008 with one Network Name which affects my routing and remote server, any ideas on how to solve this issue. Thanks
July 21st, 2010 9:26pm

Can you elaborate on what you are referring to in regards to "My problem is that i can't combine these two networks like i used to in windows server 2008 with one Network Name " What are the symptoms you are experiencing?Visit: anITKB.com, an IT Knowledge Base.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
July 21st, 2010 9:48pm

Thank you JM for your quick response and i was in hurry and i couldn't detail the problem. I've built a new server with Windows server 2008 R2 OS and joined to my Domain this server has 2 NICs, the first one (LAN) is for the Local Network and configured with a local IP Address and the second one (NET) is configured with an Internet IP Address. what i'm expecting is to find in my network and sharing center only One Network name whihc is My Network name and two network connections like i had on my pervious Windows Server 2008 OS servers, what i've found is that i have Multible networks and i couldn't fix by all the means. what i need to know now how fix this issue as both of my NICs are correctly configured and i didn't do anything yet on that server and with the same configuration for the NICs on Windows Server 2008 OS server it's working.
July 22nd, 2010 1:25pm

Ok, we will have to wait on others to respond. I generally do not pay much attention to Network Neighborhood, Network Places, Network Sharing Center, as I find that over the last decade alot of the information that gets populated in those Browse lists are usually incomplete (especially for larger network implementations) which then becomes quite useless.Visit: anITKB.com, an IT Knowledge Base.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
July 23rd, 2010 4:57am

I find it difficult to believe that it worked any other way in Server 2008. A private and a public NIC cannot possibly be in the same network. Hoe does this affect your routing or remote access? Having the two NICs in two different networks is how it should be. That is how mine is, and it certainly does not affect the routing or remote access to this server. If it is upsetting your name resolution or computer browsing, disable Netbios over TCP/IP on the public NIC. You should do this anyway as the Netbios ports are a security risk on a public network. Bill
July 23rd, 2010 7:16am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics