Windows Server 2008 R2 Hangs on shutdown.
Hello all I am having an issue with Windows Server 2008 R2 whereby it will not shut down correctly. Basically this is a virtually clean build of Windows Server, the only things installed on it at the moment are all the latest windows updates and silver light, the machines will restart if i select restart from the start menu but if i choose to shutdown it will go through the process of shutting down, stopping service etc but stop at the shutting down screen, even the wheel activity indicator freezes, it then stays like this indefinitely, i left it on overnight last night just to make sure. If anyone has any ideas i would be delighted to hear them as i cannot find anything relevant elsewhere. Machine specs: Lenovo Thinkcentre edge 71 Intel i3 2120 4gb RAM 500gb HDD Thanks Aaron
May 15th, 2012 9:55am

Have you installed virtual machine additions or vm tools on the server in question ? if not, please install that. You would likely to get such issues if virtual machine additions or vm tools not installed on the VM.A UNIVERSE without WINDOWS is CHAOS ! This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees and confers no rights. About Me ?
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
May 15th, 2012 10:47am

Hi, may be your server hangs on shutdown because it's on state of trying to close the opened Application and to identify the cause of hang state you can check your event log if there's an error related to this issue . Oussama Oueslati | System Engineer | vNext Consulting
May 15th, 2012 11:03am

Hi This is not a virtualized server, it is a server running directly on the physical hardware.
May 15th, 2012 11:21am

I have checked event viewer a few times after replicating the issue, as far as the operating system is aware the machine has shut down normally.
May 15th, 2012 11:22am

Next step would be to update your server firmware and run a memtest86+ or any other mem tester tool on the server to find if any memory module is bad. Just a side note, your machine does not offer any Win2008R2's driver, so it can be a issue with your chipset driver. (http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/research/hints-or-tips/detail.page?&DocID=HT051924) MCP | MCTS 70-236: Exchange Server 2007, Configuring
May 15th, 2012 12:21pm

Hi This is not a virtualized server, it is a server running directly on the physical hardware. I suspect, this could be due to driver issues. Yagmoth555 indicated that as well. Moreover, Lenovo Thinkcentre edge 71 is a desktop class h/w and not meant for Server Operating Systems. Though you could install server OS on this h/w, there would always be issues with drivers compatibility. That said, you might want to update Chipset, BIOS drivers on this machine. You could download Win 7 drivers and try installing them using compatibility mode on WS 2008 R2 however, there is no assurance that it would work.A UNIVERSE without WINDOWS is CHAOS ! This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees and confers no rights. About Me ?
May 15th, 2012 12:43pm

Hi This is not a virtualized server, it is a server running directly on the physical hardware. I suspect, this could be due to driver issues. Yagmoth555 indicated that as well. Moreover, Lenovo Thinkcentre edge 71 is a desktop class h/w and not meant for Server Operating Systems. Though you could install server OS on this h/w, there would always be issues with drivers compatibility. That said, you might want to update Chipset, BIOS drivers on this machine. You could download Win 7 drivers and try installing them using compatibility mode on WS 2008 R2 however, there is no assurance that it would work.A UNIVERSE without WINDOWS is CHAOS ! This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees and confers no rights. About Me ?
May 15th, 2012 12:43pm

Hi Aaron, As this thread has been quiet for a while, we assume that the issue has been resolved. At this time, we will mark it as Answered as the previous steps should be helpful. If the issue still persists, please feel free to reply this post directly so we will be notified to follow it up. You can also choose to unmark the answer as you wish. BTW, wed love to hear your feedback about the solution. By sharing your experience you can help other community members facing similar problems. Thanks for your understanding and efforts. Best Regards KevinTechNet Community Support
May 18th, 2012 12:13am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics