Windows Server 2008 R2 Foundation - system backup/restore on a new machine
Hi, In that case, what's the use of having a full system backup with Foundation? What would be your strategy with Foundation edition in case of site disaster? Thanks
August 1st, 2011 6:51am

Hello, you can still intall it on the repaired machine. If you buy OEM version you have always limitations, that 's the reason they are mostly cheaper then a retail version, which can be installed on any machine.Best regards Meinolf Weber Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
August 1st, 2011 7:03am

If I understand your answer: yes I can restore the system image of the first machine on the second machine, but the licence forbids it (even if I purchase the OEM licence for the second machine... funny, isn't it) If this is correct, how can I still do all this without the DVD media?
August 1st, 2011 8:18am

Hello, no, id didn't said this "yes I can restore the system image of the first machine on the second machine". I said "you can still install it on the repaired machine" "how can I still do all this without the DVD media?" Use the included Windows backup GUI or wbadmin command. http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc772523.aspx Best regards Meinolf Weber Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.
August 1st, 2011 9:27am

Hi, I am planning to buy a server with WS2008 R2 Foundation edition installed on it. I am also planning to buy a second server that will be located in another location, and used in case of site disaster. In that case, a full system image taken daily from the first server will be restored on the second server. I know that there is no retail edition of WS2008 R2 Foundation. But I would like to know if it still comes with a DVD or any restore media. Basically, how to I restore the system image in the second server without any optical media? Finally, do it need to buy a second WS2008 R2 Foundation licence for the second server? Any ideas or feedback welcome. Thanks
August 1st, 2011 9:48pm

Hello, as this version from Windows is OEM you are not allowed to install it on another machine, OEM licenses ALWAYS belong to the hardware where you have bought it with. Also described in "Transfer of license": http://www.microsoft.com/oem/en/licensing/sblicensing/pages/licensing_faq.aspx#faq2Best regards Meinolf Weber Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.
August 2nd, 2011 3:13am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics