Windows Server 2008 R2 Enterprise unable explore network share
Have a server setup with Windows Server 2008 R2 Enterprise , it was design as a backup server to backup about 20 servers network share drive that from different domain , we have installed a 3rd party backup apps (bestsync2010 5.4.31 ver) for performing network share backup .Have discover that somtimes the server was able browse UNC from explorer without problem \\SErver1\Share , sometimes it was unable browse and return "\\servername , The specified network name is no longer available" Test using ping , and NSlookup , both return positive respond , only it was not able browse from explorer.exe , any expert can help me?
November 12th, 2010 4:06am

Hello, network browsing is disabled by default within Windows server 2008: http://blogs.technet.com/b/networking/archive/2008/07/25/netbios-browsing-across-subnets-may-fail-after-upgrading-to-windows-server-2008.aspxBest regards Meinolf Weber Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
November 12th, 2010 4:25am

Hi, Thanks for posting here. What if try perform UNC path with FQDN of backup server in explorer ? like \\<server1.domainname>\share ? I would suggest access by using FQDN instead of NetBIOS name if servers in different domains and subnets. Meanwhile, please verify the event id when this issue occurred on the host and post here for further investigation. You can verify it form event log . Thanks. Tiger Li TechNet Subscriber Support in forum If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tngfb@microsoft.comPlease remember to click Mark as Answer on the post that helps you, and to click Unmark as Answer if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
November 14th, 2010 10:12pm

Hi, If there is any update on this issue, please feel free to let us know. We are looking forward to your reply. Tiger Li TechNet Subscriber Support in forum If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tngfb@microsoft.comPlease remember to click Mark as Answer on the post that helps you, and to click Unmark as Answer if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
November 16th, 2010 6:26am

Hi Meinolf weber My backup server was on workgroup and it did not hold any AD services or work as a DC , so was i still needed to turn on computer browser services on this backup server?? H Tiger Li , I was able open the share using FQDN \\Server1.domain.com\Share1 but not the netbios name \\server1\share1 , and worst thing is my backup setting was all using netbios name as backup source , could i do something to force windows or my server NIC to resolve name using DNS only ?? If i uncheck "Enable LMHOSTS lookup" and checked"Disable NetBIOS over TCP/IP" , will it help?? Just a weid question , as i know windows 2000 or newer machine always use below order to resolve name , i have a functional DNS server , just weird that why windows 2008 have problem on open the share?? 1. Checks it's own name. 2. Local cache. 3. HOSTS file 4. It will then suffix the Search Suffix configured on the machine, then query DNS 5. WINS 6. Broadcast 7. LMHOSTS
November 25th, 2010 10:43pm

Hi, Thanks for update. You may disable and observe in your environment to check if this issue would persist. Meanwhile, setting DNS suffix for each client or deploying WINS service are also options. Primary DNS Suffix http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc959611.aspx Thanks. Tiger Li Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
November 26th, 2010 2:58am

Hi , I have 1 ) turn off "Enable LMHOSTS lookup" 2) check " Disable NetBios over TCP/IP" 3) NIC adapter was configure using "append these dns suffixes (in order):" , it was the very earlier configuration , remain no change we didnt prefer setup and maintain WINS for just a backup apps , so i think we will keep monitoring and hope it can solved Li Just need your help for a nother question ,earlier post you was mention "suggest access by using FQDN instead of NetBIOS name if servers in different domains and subnets" can i have more detail about that as my environment was similar , which i have my backup server on workgroup1(10.20.2.X) , and my backup client was on (10.110.10.X) domain1 , some was on ( 55.25.25.X) domain2 and etc.
November 29th, 2010 3:29am

Hi, Thanks for update. Have you deployed active directory in your environment ? If yes, You may set route fist ,so that each host in different subnet could access entire network.Then add each computer to their own domain ,and set DNS server to contain different domain scope, configure DNS dynamic update and replacement. So that you could access each host via FQDN (hostname.domainname). For more information please refer to the links below: DNS Technical Reference http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc779926(WS.10).aspx DNS Server http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc732997(WS.10).aspx Thanks. Tiger Li TechNet Subscriber Support in forum If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tngfb@microsoft.comPlease remember to click Mark as Answer on the post that helps you, and to click Unmark as Answer if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
November 29th, 2010 4:51am

Hi Li , Thanks for your tips , i think this case can be consider close as i no longer facing the problem after i disable below 2 option on my local area network adapter 1 ) turn off "Enable LMHOSTS lookup" 2) check " Disable NetBios over TCP/IP"
December 1st, 2010 2:51am

Hi, Glad you find way to solve this issue . Hope enjoy in our forum . Thanks. Tiger LiPlease remember to click Mark as Answer on the post that helps you, and to click Unmark as Answer if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
December 1st, 2010 2:59am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics