Windows Server 2008 R2 DNS issues website browsing is slow or hangs
Hi all and thank you for all your help. We have a 2 domain controller network. The primary domain controller is running Windows Server 2008 R2 Enterprise (IPv4 - 10.1.1.250 and IPv6 2001:db8:8765:4321::2) and the other domain controller is running Windows Server 2008 R2 Standard (IPv4 - 10.1.1.251 and IPv6 2001:db8:8765:4321::3). I have setup a VPN and NAT on the Enterprise server with RRAS and it is currently being used as a router. Because I have Exchange 2010 running on the primary Domain Controller, I had to setup both servers using IPv6. I also configured the NIC IP settings for each server as follows, for the IPv4 DNS settings, the Preferred DNS server is set to 10.1.1.250 and Alternate DNS server is set to 10.1.1.251) For the IPv6 settings, the Preferred DNS server is set to 2001:db8:8765:4321::2 and the alternate DNS server is set to 2001:db8:8765:4321::3). I setup the DNS server type to Active Directory-Integrated and also configured the proper Reverse Lookup Zones within DNS (at least I believe so). I also have forwarders configured which are the DNS servers given by the ISP. Now that you know the configuration, here is the issue: When browsing the internet, most of the time, not always though, websites hang or take an extremely long time to load when you're browsing. But, if you hit refresh, the page will load immediately and there's no delay. What is strange is that if I try to ping a website from a workstation on the network, it seems that DNS can resolve very quickly so it seems really weird for it to be a DNS problem. I know that it is not an Internet problem because we do not have any issues with people remoting in through RDP. I tried doing some research on the problem and find out that it may have to do with EDNS and so I ran the following command but I still have the problem: "dnscmd /Config /EnableEDnsProbes 0" Thank you for all your help! -- Felipe P
March 18th, 2011 5:45am

Felipe I've been having much the same problems - Did you ever get a resolution for this problem? Nick Burton Diamond Technologies (USA)
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
April 3rd, 2012 6:37pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics