Windows Server 2008 R2 - Volume Shadow Service Repair
Hello,I have a Windows Server 2008 R2 Datacenter install at home (TechNet subscriber) and backups are not working using Windows Server Backup.I have pretty well narrowed it down to Volume Shadow Service (VSS) being messed up.This server has a lot installed on it: Active Directory Domain Services, DNS, DHCP, Exchange 2010, SQL 2005 SP3, Forefront for Exchange 2010, etc.Basically, what I need to do is "reinstall" VSS. Since Server 2008 R2 is so new, finding reliable information on repairing problems is difficult at best. I have found a lot of info on repairing VSS in general, but only one article that allied directly to R2, and I really don't want to rely on just one data source found with a search engine to begin with. Since there have been a number of changes to VSS in R2, and R2 is X64 only, I hope someone here can help me get some better information.Anyway, my question: Can someone please provide me with the list of files I will need to re-register and the registry keys that will need to be removed or modified in order to "reinstall" VSS on Windows Server 2008 R2? Please, no comments on the software and featuresI have installed - I already know this isn't a "best practices" installation. Uninstalling or reinstalling Exchange and SQL are not options for me. I don't have additional hardware to throw at this.Thank you in advance to everyone that can help me!Chris MorrisP.S. This is a home-brew server, not an OEM server, therefore there is no OEM partition. Also, mydisk is a hardware-based RAID 1 mirror, configured as a dynamic disk. MCSE, MCSA, CCNA, A+
December 9th, 2009 6:01pm

HelloChris, Thank you for your post. I just wanted to let you know that I have replied to your question in the post titled Windows Server 2008 R2 - Volume Shadow Service Repair. To make sure the thread clear to follow, I would like to suggest that we follow up with the thread there. If anything is unclear, or you have additional concerns, please feel free to let me know. Thank you.This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
December 11th, 2009 10:03am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics