Windows Server 2008 R2 & Hibernation
Hi,I'm currently running a Windows Server 2008 R2 with Exchange 2010. Since this is only a test installation, I configured this machine to hibernate after one hour. However, this doesn't work, the machine doesn't goto sleep. Running "powercfg -energy" doesn't show any indication, what could be reason for that. It may be related to Exchange since the server went to sleep before I installed Exchange. Does anyone know how to enable hibernation on a server running Exchange? Thanks in advance,Clemens
February 12th, 2010 6:48pm

Did you add the Hyper-V role?MVP Setup and Deployment - http://www.forum-microsoft.org
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
February 12th, 2010 7:11pm

Hi Clemens,Kazer's question makes sense. If the Hyper-V role is enabled on Windows Server 2008, the hiternate power feauter will be not available, and this is dy design.Sleep and hibernate power features are not available when you enable Hyper-V technology on a Windows Server 2008-based portable computerhttp://support.microsoft.com/kb/954418If there is no Hyper-V role, you may refer to the KB 920730 to enable hibernation.How to disable and re-enable hibernation on a computer that is running Windows http://support.microsoft.com/kb/920730Hope it helps.David ShenBest Regards,This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
February 15th, 2010 5:30am

Hi David,Thanks for the information. Unfortunately both hints don't help. Hyper-V isn't enabled and hibernation is enabled. However, the server is not going to sleep. As I mentioned, it might be related to Exchange 2010, since before installing this everything worked as expected.Best Regards,Clemens
February 18th, 2010 3:49pm

That KB mentions the feature is not enable on a portable computer. I am using a server (not in a laptop) and hibernation is not enable. Any ideas why?
April 30th, 2011 6:00pm

Hello , run powercfg /a and report back the output. Also look at the System Event logs for Kernel-Power and Power-Troubleshooter eventsThanks, Darrell Gorter [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. VAMT - Volume Activation Management Tool - Download link http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=ec7156d2-2864-49ee-bfcb-777b898ad582&displaylang=en
April 30th, 2011 10:16pm

Hi Darrell, this is what I get: C:\Users\Administrator>powercfg /a The following sleep states are not available on this system: Standby (S1) The system firmware does not support this standby state. An internal system component has disabled this standby state. Standby (S2) The system firmware does not support this standby state. An internal system component has disabled this standby state. Standby (S3) The system firmware does not support this standby state. An internal system component has disabled this standby state. Hibernate An internal system component has disabled hibernation. Hybrid Sleep Didn't find any error reltated to this under Kernel-Power and no error has been recorded under Power-Troubleshooter. Thanks.
May 1st, 2011 3:06pm

Hello Machajwai, Have you run powercfg /energy? can you post the output of that? How much RAM in the server? What roles do you have installed?Thanks, Darrell Gorter [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. VAMT - Volume Activation Management Tool - Download link http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=ec7156d2-2864-49ee-bfcb-777b898ad582&displaylang=en
May 2nd, 2011 12:04am

I just ran it, the output is here: http://it24x7.biz/energy-report.html Server has 8 GB Ram. Basically it is a stand alone server running Hyper-V with 3 VMs. Thanks, Jose
May 2nd, 2011 3:49am

Hi Clemens, Kazer's question makes sense. If the Hyper-V role is enabled on Windows Server 2008, the hiternate power feauter will be not available, and this is dy design. Sleep and hibernate power features are not available when you enable Hyper-V technology on a Windows Server 2008-based portable computer http://support.microsoft.com/kb/954418 If there is no Hyper-V role, you may refer to the KB 920730 to enable hibernation. How to disable and re-enable hibernation on a computer that is running Windows http://support.microsoft.com/kb/920730 Hope it helps. David Shen Best Regards, This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Machajwai, Did you miss this part of the discussion. You cannot hibernate a server running Hyper-V!Bill
May 2nd, 2011 4:59am

I didn't, I just wanted to confirm this with all hardware since the title says: Sleep and hibernate power features are not available when you enable Hyper-V technology on a Windows Server 2008-based PORTABLE computer Thanks.
May 2nd, 2011 6:03pm

Hello Machajwai, It does apply to desktop machines as well as portable machines, we will get that content updated Thanks, Darrell Gorter [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. VAMT - Volume Activation Management Tool - Download link http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=ec7156d2-2864-49ee-bfcb-777b898ad582&displaylang=en
May 2nd, 2011 9:33pm

Hi , I am facing almost the same issue, but I am running Windows Server 2008 R2 on my Desktop computer with i7 and 16 GB RAM. Hyper-V is not enable. I enabled Hibernation via Powercfg.exe -H on command. But I still do not get Hibernate option in Shutdown Menu. When I use Shutdown /h command, system shutdown quickly but does not hibernate because when I start it, it load everything again, as normal boot. Here is the output of powercfg /energy. Can you please help me to solve this issue. Thanks in advance. ************** output ****** Computer Name CRMSERVER Scan Time 2011-09-10T17:55:09Z Scan Duration 60 seconds System Manufacturer System manufacturer System Product Name System Product Name BIOS Date 05/09/2011 BIOS Version 0501 OS Build 7601 Platform Role PlatformRoleWorkstation Plugged In true Process Count 56 Thread Count 612 Report GUID {08a736a2-4c36-45f4-aa1e-83fffc768deb} Analysis Results Errors Power Policy:Power Plan Personality is High Performance (Plugged In) The current power plan personality is High Performance when the system is plugged in. Power Policy:Sleep timeout is disabled (Plugged In) The computer is not configured to automatically sleep after a period of inactivity. Power Policy:Minimum processor performance state is 100% (Plugged In) The processor is not configured to automatically reduce power consumption based on activity. USB Suspend:USB Device not Entering Suspend The USB device did not enter the Suspend state. Processor power management may be prevented if a USB device does not enter the Suspend state when not in use. Device Name USB Mass Storage Device Host Controller ID PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_1C2D Host Controller Location PCI bus 0, device 26, function 0 Device ID USB\VID_058F&PID_6366 Port Path 1,3 USB Suspend:USB Device not Entering Suspend The USB device did not enter the Suspend state. Processor power management may be prevented if a USB device does not enter the Suspend state when not in use. Device Name Generic USB Hub Host Controller ID PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_1C26 Host Controller Location PCI bus 0, device 29, function 0 Device ID USB\VID_8087&PID_0024 Port Path 1 USB Suspend:USB Device not Entering Suspend The USB device did not enter the Suspend state. Processor power management may be prevented if a USB device does not enter the Suspend state when not in use. Device Name Generic USB Hub Host Controller ID PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_1C2D Host Controller Location PCI bus 0, device 26, function 0 Device ID USB\VID_8087&PID_0024 Port Path 1 USB Suspend:USB Device not Entering Suspend The USB device did not enter the Suspend state. Processor power management may be prevented if a USB device does not enter the Suspend state when not in use. Device Name USB Input Device Host Controller ID PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_1C26 Host Controller Location PCI bus 0, device 29, function 0 Device ID USB\VID_046D&PID_C05A Port Path 1,1 USB Suspend:USB Device not Entering Suspend The USB device did not enter the Suspend state. Processor power management may be prevented if a USB device does not enter the Suspend state when not in use. Device Name USB Root Hub Host Controller ID PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_1C2D Host Controller Location PCI bus 0, device 26, function 0 Device ID USB\VID_8086&PID_1C2D Port Path USB Suspend:USB Device not Entering Suspend The USB device did not enter the Suspend state. Processor power management may be prevented if a USB device does not enter the Suspend state when not in use. Device Name USB Root Hub Host Controller ID PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_1C26 Host Controller Location PCI bus 0, device 29, function 0 Device ID USB\VID_8086&PID_1C26 Port Path USB Suspend:USB Device not Entering Suspend The USB device did not enter the Suspend state. Processor power management may be prevented if a USB device does not enter the Suspend state when not in use. Device Name USB Composite Device Host Controller ID PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_1C26 Host Controller Location PCI bus 0, device 29, function 0 Device ID USB\VID_046D&PID_C31C Port Path 1,2 USB Suspend:USB Device not Entering Suspend The USB device did not enter the Suspend state. Processor power management may be prevented if a USB device does not enter the Suspend state when not in use. Device Name Host Controller ID PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_1C26 Host Controller Location PCI bus 0, device 29, function 0 Device ID USB\VID_0CF3&PID_3000 Port Path 1,7 Warnings Power Policy:Display timeout is long (Plugged In) The display is configured to turn off after longer than 10 minutes. Timeout (seconds) 900 Information Platform Timer Resolution:Platform Timer Resolution The default platform timer resolution is 15.6ms (15625000ns) and should be used whenever the system is idle. If the timer resolution is increased, processor power management technologies may not be effective. The timer resolution may be increased due to multimedia playback or graphical animations. Current Timer Resolution (100ns units) 156001 Power Policy:Active Power Plan The current power plan in use Plan Name OEM High Performance Plan GUID {8c5e7fda-e8bf-4a96-9a85-a6e23a8c635c} Power Policy:Power Plan Personality (Plugged In) The personality of the current power plan when the system is plugged in. Personality High Performance System Availability Requests:Analysis Success Analysis was successful. No energy efficiency problems were found. No information was returned. CPU Utilization:Processor utilization is low The average processor utilization during the trace was very low. The system will consume less power when the average processor utilization is very low. Average Utilization (%) 0.52 Battery:Analysis Success Analysis was successful. No energy efficiency problems were found. No information was returned. Platform Power Management Capabilities:Supported Sleep States Sleep states allow the computer to enter low-power modes after a period of inactivity. The S3 sleep state is the default sleep state for Windows platforms. The S3 sleep state consumes only enough power to preserve memory contents and allow the computer to resume working quickly. Very few platforms support the S1 or S2 Sleep states. S1 Sleep Supported true S2 Sleep Supported false S3 Sleep Supported true S4 Sleep Supported true Platform Power Management Capabilities:Processor Power Management Capabilities Effective processor power management enables the computer to automatically balance performance and energy consumption. Group 0 Index 0 Idle (C) State Count 3 Performance (P) State Count 16 Throttle (T) State Count 8 Platform Power Management Capabilities:Processor Power Management Capabilities Effective processor power management enables the computer to automatically balance performance and energy consumption. Group 0 Index 1 Idle (C) State Count 3 Performance (P) State Count 16 Throttle (T) State Count 8 Platform Power Management Capabilities:Processor Power Management Capabilities Effective processor power management enables the computer to automatically balance performance and energy consumption. Group 0 Index 2 Idle (C) State Count 3 Performance (P) State Count 16 Throttle (T) State Count 8 Platform Power Management Capabilities:Processor Power Management Capabilities Effective processor power management enables the computer to automatically balance performance and energy consumption. Group 0 Index 3 Idle (C) State Count 3 Performance (P) State Count 16 Throttle (T) State Count 8 Platform Power Management Capabilities:Processor Power Management Capabilities Effective processor power management enables the computer to automatically balance performance and energy consumption. Group 0 Index 4 Idle (C) State Count 3 Performance (P) State Count 16 Throttle (T) State Count 8 Platform Power Management Capabilities:Processor Power Management Capabilities Effective processor power management enables the computer to automatically balance performance and energy consumption. Group 0 Index 5 Idle (C) State Count 3 Performance (P) State Count 16 Throttle (T) State Count 8 Platform Power Management Capabilities:Processor Power Management Capabilities Effective processor power management enables the computer to automatically balance performance and energy consumption. Group 0 Index 6 Idle (C) State Count 3 Performance (P) State Count 16 Throttle (T) State Count 8 Platform Power Management Capabilities:Processor Power Management Capabilities Effective processor power management enables the computer to automatically balance performance and energy consumption. Group 0 Index 7 Idle (C) State Count 3 Performance (P) State Count 16 Throttle (T) State Count 8 *************************** Regards, Tauqir
September 19th, 2011 2:24pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics