Windows Server 2008 R2, upgrading from 1 to 2CPU?
I run a Vmware esx server and we I now have a Windows Server 2008 R2 running on one CPU. Some of the processes running there are too CPU hungry and I would like to add one more CPU to the server. In Windows 2003 it was not that easy to just add one CPU. Has this changed in Windows 2008 R2?
October 13th, 2009 5:46pm

Hi HAL07,AFAIK , windows 2008 R2 Datacenter edition and Itanium editon supports the option of Hot Add/Replace Memory and Processors with supporting hardware So if i understand correctly , VMware do provide an option for processors during configuration of VMclient ( i guess it supports upto 8 processors ) , did you try that option ?sainath !analyze
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
October 14th, 2009 5:17am

This is Windows 2008 R2 standard. And I think there is a separate single-cpu core installed when you install a 2003 server. So it was not easy to "upgrade it" to 2cpu because the core would still be single-cpu. Would be nice if I still got the answer to my original question.
October 14th, 2009 9:31am

Hi, Sainath IRP_MJ_CREATE is right. Only Windows Server 2008 DataCenter and Itanium has the Hot Add Processors feature. http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2008/en/us/r2-compare-specs.aspx Therefore, if you would like to add a CPU to your Windows Server 2008 Standard, you may need to shut down the server first. As you are running Windows Server 2008 Standard on VMWare, you can also contact VMWare for more information. Tim Quan - MSFT
October 14th, 2009 10:14am

Hi Halo ,Do you have any questions or is there anything you want to discuss regarding the issue ? as we are troubleshooting offline we try to provide you the best of our knowledge.sainath !analyze
October 14th, 2009 3:32pm

Hi Halo I want to do the same thing, using the same verison. Did you find out if there are single-cpu and multi-cpu variants of the W2k8R2 kernel? The answers you got on here are about hot changes - like you, I don't caree if they are hot or cold - I just want to know if it is safe! regards Bob
November 3rd, 2010 4:42am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics