Windows Server 2008 Permission Issues
Good Afternoon, I have 3 servers in a workgroup. Two servers run Windows Server 2008 and the other runs Windows Server 2003. From the 2003 server I'm tring to access resources on the one of the server 2008 machines ). When I enter the username and password it tells me that my credentials are incorrect. However, I can access local resources from one server 2008 to the other. I can also access recources on the 2003 server from both 2008 servers. One of the strange things is that you can do an rdp session to the server 2008 server from the 2003 server and this connects ok. So its only when we try and do the following: \\servername\resource The local username and password is the same on all three servers. Any help on this would be much appreciated. Thanks
May 28th, 2011 4:41pm

The only thing I think that may cause the issue is the domain name/computer name while trying to access the resource. When it prompts to enter credential, you can input computername\username and then enter the password to access the resource.Please remember to click Mark as Answer on the post that helps you, and to click Unmark as Answer if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
June 2nd, 2011 11:36am

This is because incompatible authentication protocols used during credential negotiation process. 2008 tends to use NTLMv2, but 2003 may send LM/NTLMv1 by default. Go to the Local Security Policy, Security Options and make sure LAN Manager Authentication Level is set to a minimum of NTLMv2 version. I'd configured 'Use NTLMv2 only / Refuse LM and NTLM' option to get rid of 20-years old unsecure authentication protocols. Do this for all the computers.MCITP: Enterprise Administrator; MCT; Microsoft Security Trusted Advisor; CCNA
June 2nd, 2011 12:59pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics