Windows Server 2008 Domain Controller
1. If i will install a Domain Controller in Windows Server 2008, and there is a existing network with a DNS Server service and a DHCP. Can i install the Domain Controller and use the existing DNS and unchecked the DNS for additional function when being ask on the actual installation of the Domain Controller using DCpromo.exe? Would there be any problem? 2. Given that in the existing network that there is a DNS server service and a DHCP. Can I insall the Domain Controller and also check the DNS for additional purpose on the actual installation of the active directory? would there be any problem? kindly help me out please... thanks guys
October 30th, 2010 11:40am

Active Directory uses DNS as its location service , enabling computers to find the location of domain controllers. ot find a domain controller in a particular domain, a client queries DNS for SRV and address (A) resource records that provide the names and IP addresses of the Lightweight Directory Access Protocol (LDAP) servers for the domain. You can configure your Windows 2008 DNS server automatically by using the Active Directory Installation wizard, which is a wizard provided in Windows 2008 that installs and configures Active Directory. The Active Directory Installation wizard can perform all the installation and configuration necessary for DNS, and the Netlogon service adds the necessary locator records. Unless you are using a DNS server other than Windows 2008 or you want to perform special configuration, you do not need to manually configure DNS to support Active Directory (create DNS zone for the new domain in your DNS) . However, if you want to set up a configuration other than the default configuration that the Active Directory Installation wizard sets up, you can manually configure DNS. So both case are valid and can be done ( Just keep in mind in the 2nd case to decide if you need replica of your DNS server on the stand alone DNS or not)
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
October 30th, 2010 12:24pm

Thank you for the response, On the first case, you mean to say that on the installation of the active directory wizard. When the wizard pops and ask me to install DNS, can i uncheked it? and use the existing DNS? Would Active directory still work, after the installation? would there be any problem then? On the other hand if i will install the Active Directory and allow it to be a DNS server, and not use the existing DNS. Would there be any conflict on the existing DNS server? Thanks again for your response
October 30th, 2010 1:00pm

In first case. before AD installation, Assign this server a static IP address, subnet mask, and gateway address. Enter the DNS server's IP address in the Preferred DNS server box Click Start , point to Programs , point to Administrative Tools , and then click DNS Manager . You see two zones under your computer name: Forward Lookup Zone and Reverse Lookup Zone . The DNS Server Configuration Wizard starts. Click Next . Right-click Forward Lookup Zone , and then click Properties . Choose your DNS server to be a root server. Click Next . Choose to add a forward lookup zone. Click Next . The new forward lookup zone must be a primary zone so that it can accept dynamic updates. Click Primary , and then click Next . The new zone contains the locator records for this Active Directory domain. The name of the zone must be the same as the name of the Active Directory domain, or be a logical DNS container for that name. For example, if the Active Directory domain is named "support.microsoft.com", legal zone names are "support.microsoft.com", "microsoft.com", or "com". Type the name of the zone, and then click Next . NOTE : If you name the zone "com" we will believe that we are authoritative for the "com" domain and never forward any requests that we can not answer out to the real "com" domain servers. The same would be true if you named it "microsoft.com", you would never use your forwarder to resolve requests from the real "microsoft.com" servers. Accept the default name for the new zone file. Click Next . Choose not to add a reverse lookup zone now. Click Next . NOTE : Experienced DNS administrators may want to create a reverse lookup zone, and are encouraged to explore this branch of the wizard. Click Finish to complete the Server Configuration Wizard. After the Server Configuration Wizard is finished, DNS Manager starts. Proceed to the next step to enable dynamic update on the zone you just added. Links http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=237675 for the 2nd case .. if you are creating a new DNS zone on your AD server so you will not have any conflict... Although I do not prefer that and recommend you to integrate the new created DNS zone in DC with your existing DNS Server tp provide redundancy Please check http://support.microsoft.com/kb/323418
October 30th, 2010 1:12pm

Thanks a lot, one more question. If there is a DHCP server and then i assign a static ip address to the domain controller. Does that ip address that was given to the domain controller expire? And be given to other computer by the DHCP server, that would result to a ip conflict? Thanks a lot
October 30th, 2010 2:09pm

You can configure the DHCP server to determine whether an address is in use before the server allocates it to a client. To enable conflict detection on your DHCP server, perform these steps: Start the Microsoft Management Console (MMC) DHCP snap-in (Start, Programs, Administrative Tools, DHCP). Right-click the DHCP server and select Properties. Select the Advanced tab. By default, "Conflict detection attempts" is set to 0. Increase the value to 1 or 2. Setting it higher than 2 isn't recommended because each attempt takes as long as 1 second. Click OK. Also make sure to Authorize the DHCP server in Active Directory as per http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc759688%28WS.10%29.aspx
October 30th, 2010 2:17pm

You will need to configure your DHCP server to specify IP addresses (or ranges) to exclude. This will prevent DHCP from giving out those addresses. -------- Regards, Hank Arnold Microsoft MVP Windows Server - Directory Services http://it.toolbox.com/blogs/personal-pc-assistant/ On 10/30/2010 2:05 PM, anidem wrote: Thanks a lot, one more question. If there is a DHCP server and then i assign a static ip address to the domain controller. Does that ip address that was given to the domain controller expire? And be given to other computer by the DHCP server, that would result to a ip conflict? Thanks a lot Regards, Hank Arnold (MVP - DS)
October 31st, 2010 6:36am

Hello, is any update on this issue available or is it solved?Best regards Meinolf Weber Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.
November 7th, 2010 10:57am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics