Windows Server 2008 Activation Problem
I downloaded this beta today but I am having a problem activating it here is what I get: Online Activation: "A problem occured when Windows tried to activate. Error Code 0x80072F8F" I have tried registering for several diffrent keys but this still happens. Phone Activation: It tells me the key I get from the automated system is incorrect and still no activation. I have no idea what I am doing wrong, can someone point me in the right direction? Thanks Josh
July 29th, 2007 3:36am

Hello Josh,for that error code knowledge base shows this article - it is an error during update, could you check if this would also fit for your situation ?This issue occurs if the date and time that are on the computer vary too greatly from the valid date and time.if this does not help:Does the Windows event viewer show some additional info/error messages ?Do you have some special settings in your firewall ?Anything lately changed on your system ?>I have tried registering for several diffrent keys but this still happens.so I guess you already got some new keys from Windows Server 2008 Home Page ?btw: it would also help if you could tell more about your system:e.g. version: core, enterprise, datacenteris this the June CTP version (Windows Server 2008 IDS-3 CTP build: 6001.16606.070619.0730 - available to MSDN or Technet subscribers) or the beta 3 (version 6.0.6001 Service Pack 1, v.126 Build 6001), ...Erkan YILMAZ[my question to people working for Microsoft: I still got no response on my last 4 lines of comment here - believe me I tried a lot of channels/ways - but without success or the option to pay money to get a beta (June CTP) version. Well, let's turn this around: if people think of it in way of opportunity costs: Microsoft is losing money every day by not providing it to people willing to test it. My question now: Why does a Microsoft employee - thinking about the future of his/her company - not inform the appropriate people regarding this ? :-) ]
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
July 29th, 2007 5:51am

The code that you download needs to be used and activated within 30 days. This might be an issue in this case. Regarding Erkans comment on CTP; first of all I would like to thank you for the great work you do here in the forums ! The June CTP is a limited release beta meaning Microsoft only releases it to a limited group soif you are not in these programs youwill unfortunately have to wait for next publicbeta to get an update to the Beta 3 stuff. Brjann
July 29th, 2007 11:35pm

Hello Brjann,I must thank you. You are the first one at least answering me in this forum about the CTP issue after such a long time. Now I will let all in peace about this subject :-)Erkan YILMAZ
July 29th, 2007 11:40pm

ok, i found out what was wrong, the date on the server was wrong in the BIOS, I changed that then reinstalled the OS and it works fine now.
August 1st, 2007 6:50am

JFarmer wrote: ok, i found out what was wrong, the date on the server was wrong in the BIOS, I changed that then reinstalled the OS and it works fine now. I had the same problem. Very irritating that I had to reinstall the OS. Thanks for saving me more wasted hours of phone calls with MS!
October 22nd, 2007 1:28am

Having similar issue, just over a week ago downloaded RC0 from MSDN (gold partner), installed the x86 standard version everything went fine used product code 'XF94C' installed into a virtual machine, evaluated for a few days, then it crashed, rebooted chkdsk found loads of errors corrupted everything. So built a computer AMD x25600+, 4GB RAM, 3Ware RAID6, 6 SATA disks, not a bad box, installed the x64 version (first installed without entering the product key, selected the standard edition, this did not work with the product key above, so reinstalled again entering the product key when prompted, it selected enterprise edition, so something wrong somewhere with the product key), so when the OS first boots it wants to Activate, now I have not gone in in safe modeto correct the drivers so I try to activate over the phone, this does not workat all the confirmation ID is incorrect, so I speak to someone during this phone call from the activation centre, we both go through the numbers carefully and the numbers are correct but it will not activate. So thinkinga little out of the box, I go on the MS website and request an evaluation of RC0, get new product key 'XDXWQ' and download the new iso image, and guess what the same problem occurs cannot activate over the phone. Has anyone seen this and do they have a solution. Thanks Alex
October 31st, 2007 9:33am

Hey Alex, Your not the only one having this issue. I've gone through all the same problems you described. I called the activation center and we both saw I had the same numbers and everything. I work at a comany thats trying to test our software on server 2008 and this activation process is causing me a number of headaches and time. The only smart suggestion I got from microsoft was that trial software can only be activated through online activation. Im re-installing 2008 right now, so I'll let you know if that works. But for the time being I am very dissapointed with Microsoft for advertising this product and inticing us to downlaod and waste time installing something that I feel probablydoesnt work altogether.I hope someoneat microsoft has the brains to fix this rather than pissing their own customers off and then expecting us topurchase their product.
December 7th, 2007 10:24pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics