Windows Server 2008 64-bit with Print Spooler problem
I have to reboot Windows Server 2008 64-bit at least twice a day (various times of the day). It's an AD, DC, and DNS server. This server is hosting the roaming profile, files service and print server. When I disable the print spooler the server is running fine without rebooting. * When the server stop response to the files and print services, I can RDP and reboot the server. Please advice. Thanks, TiM
July 21st, 2009 9:02pm

Hello,check the event viewer for errors when it stops. If it is always the print spooler i would make sure that all drivers installed are correct and up to date. I suggest, if this is the only DC in the domain, to install a second one for redundancy and failover reason which also has DNS/GC installed/enabled on it.Best regards Meinolf Weber Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
July 22nd, 2009 3:14am

Hi, Thanks for the post. From your description, I understand that the Windows Server 2008 64-bit system always reboots and this issue will be gone if the Print Spooler service is disabled. Given this situation, I would like to confirm if any update or third party program was installed before this issue occurs. This error might be caused by one of the following conditions: There was invalid or incomplete data received by the print spooler A driver upgrade failed There is a bad printer device driver A third party program conflicts with the Print Spooler service. In this case, lets collect the relevant information. 1. Open Printers. 2. On the File menu, click Server Properties, and then click the Advanced tab. 3. Select or clear the Log spooler error events, Log spooler warning events, and Log spooler information events check box 4. Stop and restart the spooler service After that, please collect the Setup&Performance version of MPSReport from the server machine. a. Download the MPS Report Tool from the following link: http://download.microsoft.com/download/b/b/1/bb139fcb-4aac-4fe5-a579-30b0bd915706/MPSRPT_SETUPPerf.EXE b. After the download is complete, double-click this " MPSRPT_SETUPPerf.EXE" file. Then a CAB file will be generated called %COMPUTERNAME%_MPSReports.CAB. For example, if your computer name is "MyComputer", this CAB file will be named "MyComputer_MPSReports.CAB". c. Open My Computer, browse to the "%systemroot%\MPSReports\Setup\Logs\CAB" folder. You can find the CAB file above and please send it to me. Use Windows Live SkyDrive (http://www.skydrive.live.com/) to upload the file and then give me the download address. Hope this helps.
July 22nd, 2009 1:46pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics