Windows Server 2008 - No IE8 Properties
Hi, I am trying to adjust the properties for IE8 on my new Windows Server 2008 servers but all of the properties for IE8 are greyed out. I am logged in as the administrator and none of my other abilities are limited. I have even tried another program and looked at the properties and they all appear as normal. Please see here for a screenshot of what I mean. Is this normal? How can I get to the add/remove buttons?
February 17th, 2011 10:00am

Run Windows Explorer as administrator (probably you have UAC on) do it from command line (elavated command prompt) using icacls With kind regards Krystian Zieja http://www.projectnenvision.com Follow me on twitter My Blog
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
February 17th, 2011 10:06am

Thanks for the quick response. I am somewhat a beginner to servers, could you please explain how I would do that? Thanks.
February 17th, 2011 10:36am

Hi, I can’t view the picture. As I understand that all tabs on the properties of Internet Explorer are greyed out. It seems that you don’t have privilege to adjust Internet Explorer. Please try to open the properties of Internet Explorer via its file. Open the folder: C:\Program Files\iexplorer.exe, right click on it, click Properties and see how it works. If you can’t view the properties too, you may need to take ownership of iexplorer.exe, please open a command prompt in elevated privilege, type the following command: Takeown /f C:\Program Files\iexplorer.exe Best Regards DalePlease remember to click Mark as Answer on the post that helps you, and to click Unmark as Answer if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
February 22nd, 2011 10:06pm

Hi thanks for the suggestion, that has worked and allowed me to remove the "Users" group from the list of allowed users. However, it has created another problem. When I log in as my test user (which has no admin rights) to test if it allows access to IE8, it allows me access. My test user is a part of the "Users" group only. While I am logged in as the test user I have checked the IE8 properties and it looks like it is adding my test user to the list on the fly. How can I get around this?
February 24th, 2011 4:32am

Ok so I still haven't got to the bottom of this. I managed to take ownership of iexplore.exe, prevent my users from launcing it however I too am now unable to launch it. I still have access to the properties. I am a member of the Administrators group, which I have added to the allowed users list and given the group full control. Any ideas anyone?
April 13th, 2011 6:28am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics