Windows Server 2008 - IPs missing after patching
I have a very frustrating issue that I can't figure out. I have over 10 Dell PE150 servers running Windows 2008 Server Std x64. Over the past few months, three of them have exhibited odd behaviors after doing monthly Windows patches. Essentially, the IPs go missing. When I look at the NIC properties, I see all the IPs listed. If I run an ipconfig, I only see a handful. If I try and remove an IP that is 'missing' and go back in, it reappears. If I reboot the affected machines, it does not help. Same issue remains. I've been able to fix it two different ways (although, in the end, it's probably the same thing): Run the netsh ip reset command - reboot - and add all the IPs back to the NIC -or- Drill down to HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\TCPIP\Paramenters\Interfaces and type in the IPs that are missing and reboot This is a major hassle because I won't know which server is going to experience the issue (started back in Oct) and to type in 36+ IPs is quite frustrating on a production machine like this. Servers are fully patched - NIC drivers up to date.
January 6th, 2011 11:27am

Hello, what's the reason that one server requires 36! ip addresses? Did you check with Dell that the NIC support this kind of setup?Best regards Meinolf Weber Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
January 6th, 2011 1:28pm

@MeinolfWeber I'm just giving an example - the specific machine with 36+ is a content management server that deploys updates to websites, so yes, it does require that many. This machine aside, the other two machines have less than 6 IPs. That's why this is a circular issue - Dell says it's the OS/MSFT. Just hoping someone has seen this before.
January 6th, 2011 1:52pm

Hello M_Buzz, Please check the following KB982931. Some IP addresses on a network adapter are lost after you restart a computer that is running Windows Server 2008 or Windows Vista if the buffer being used on the network adapter becomes insufficient http://support.microsoft.com/kb/982931 BrentPlease remember to click Mark as Answer on the post that helps you, and to click Unmark as Answer if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
January 6th, 2011 10:35pm

I'm going to give this a try - seems very similar. Thanks!
January 10th, 2011 9:23am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics