Windows Server 2008 & GhostCast - Unable to control A20 Line
I have a new server running the evaluation of Windows Server 2008 and my previous server running Windows Server 2003. Both have the exact same Symantec Ghost Solution Suite Software on them and both are using 3com Boot Services to run the PXE server. They are pretty much set up to be exact as much as possible for troubleshooting purposes. Using the same Ghost Boot File and PXE menu file on both machines I can get a machine to boot up into PXE, load Ghost, and automatically connect to the active Ghost session on Windows server 2003.However, on Windows server 2008, when the same machine is trying to connect, after it boots up into PXE and it starts transferring the Ghost boot image, after PC-Dos loads, and the UNDI drivers load, it goes into HIMEM loading and i get this error:"ERROR: Unable to Control A20 Line! XMS Driver not installed"What is missing in WS2008 that isnt in WS2003?
June 12th, 2008 7:24pm

Hi, Please follow the steps to configure the config.sys file on the problematic computer and check if the issue will re-occur. 1. At the command prompt, first check to ensure that the Himem.sys file is located in the Windows folder 2. Check to make sure that the path in the Msdos.sys file is correct, or if you are loading Himem.sys from the Config.sys file, that the path is correct in the Config.sys file. 3. Turn off the computer, wait for 30 seconds, and then turn the computer back on. 4. Click Start , click Run , type sysedit , and then press ENTER. 5. Add the following line to the Autoexec.bat file: SET DOS16M=2 6. Save the file, and then quit System Configuration Editor. 7. Shut down Windows, turn off the computer, wait for 30 seconds, and then turn the computer back on. 8. Click Start , click Shut Down , click Restart , and then click OK (or Yes ). If computer restarts normally, the problem is resolved and you can skip the remaining steps. 9. If the problem still occurs, turn off the computer, wait for 30 seconds, and then turn the computer back on. 10. Click Start , click Run , type sysedit , and then press ENTER. 11. Edit the Config.sys file to include the following line: Device=C:\Windows\Himem.sys /M:1 NOTE : /M:1 may not work. 12. Save the file, and then quit System Configuration Editor. Hope it helps.Your potential. Our passion.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
June 18th, 2008 3:31pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics