Windows Server 2008: FTP Client: Connection Refused
FTP ftpsiteName receives: > ftp: connect :Connection refused I have completely disabled Windows Firewall. I have disabled “Enhanced Internet Security” I have a clean install of Windows 2008 Server on my network. I can get to the internet. I can ping to the internet FTP site. I and many others use the FTP site on a daily basis without issue from different pcs on the same network. We all go through the same hardware firewall. Tried to access through IE as well using the directions below without success. 1. Start Internet Explorer. 2. On the Tools menu, click Internet Options. 3. Click the Advanced tab. 4. Under Browsing, click to clear the "Use Passive FTP (for firewall and DSL modem compatibility)" check box. 5. Click OK Any thoughts as to what might be the problem?
October 22nd, 2010 3:53pm

Have you set up any ssl options in settings of the server(ftp)? btw you can ping an IP does not mean the ftp server is online :P Hva a try with a proper ftp clinet for a change. eg rushftp to check if it is passivmod (can be disabled in settings) At least in Server 2008r2 FTP is set to "Require SSL connection" change that to "Allow SSL Connection" You would also need to add users/group to the site. Have a try at connection to the ftp from the server it self see if that helps.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
October 23rd, 2010 8:57am

To answers your questions Niklas, Yes, I know ping does not verify that the FTP server is online that is why I made mention that I can get to the ftp server from various other PCs. I made mention of the ping because I believe this problem is network/security related not a problem with the FTP server itself. The FTP server resides on an IBM i5 midrange computer of which I am the admistrator and it does not require SSL and can be access by all computers on the network but this one. I am certain the problem has something to do with Windows 2008 server security or a networking issue neither of which are my strong suite. I also can not map a drive to the server either which I will also need to do. Any other suggestions? "All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing."
October 26th, 2010 6:40pm

Hey again, I just set up ftp on my iis part of server 2k8. Works without any different config that default . Are you sure you have set it to listen to your port? Connection refused means that nothing is listhing on the hostname:port you set up
October 26th, 2010 6:45pm

I am on the Windows 2008 machine trying to use the FTP Client on the Windows 2008 machine to access the i5's FTP server. Not the other way around. I have also tried to us the IE Browser as and FTP client which supports passive mode in case that was the problem but still not luck. "All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing."
October 26th, 2010 6:52pm

How is the network configuration further down the line?
October 26th, 2010 6:53pm

Thats a good question and one I am not sure where to begin with. Could you point me in the right direction in what I should try to debug this? Other than I know I can get to the internet, and I can ping the i5. I am not sure what else I should be looking for or at."All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing."
October 26th, 2010 7:03pm

I would get it dep to set up a vlan with no rules for you to test in. Then you can go from there, you need atleast port 21 TCP and and theres a whole lot of passive ports as most of the time in t he area of 36k also TCP.
October 26th, 2010 7:07pm

Sorry Niklas, thanks for you help. The problem was the entry in the host table had on digit transposed in the IP, a 75 should have been a 72. I couldn't believe it. I was sure I had cut and pasted that number. Guess not."All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing."
October 27th, 2010 2:40pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics