Windows Server 2008
Notepad.exe, for the most part. Server 2008 doesn't come with a command line editor like edit or edlin (for those of you that remember those days). Cheers, Lain
April 4th, 2012 10:32am

Agree with Lain. 'Edit' as a command is no more available in newer versions of Windows Operating System. However, you can directly invoke notepad from cmd by specifying the file which you want to edit. For e.g. If I want to edit cpsweb.log which is present on C:\ then I would simply enter cpsweb.log in cmd and press<< Enter>>, log file will be opened in notepad. This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees and confers no rights. Most of the downtime's are caused because of SysAdmin's curiosity ! - Santosh
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
April 4th, 2012 10:41am

HI, what is used instead of 'Edit' command at command prompt in windows server 2008.
April 8th, 2012 2:55am

Notepad.exe, for the most part. Server 2008 doesn't come with a command line editor like edit or edlin (for those of you that remember those days). Cheers, Lain
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
April 8th, 2012 3:37am

Agree with Lain. 'Edit' as a command is no more available in newer versions of Windows Operating System. However, you can directly invoke notepad from cmd by specifying the file which you want to edit. For e.g. If I want to edit cpsweb.log which is present on C:\ then I would simply enter cpsweb.log in cmd and press<< Enter>>, log file will be opened in notepad. This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees and confers no rights. Most of the downtime's are caused because of SysAdmin's curiosity ! - Santosh
April 8th, 2012 3:45am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics