Windows Server 2003 stop responding
One of my clients has a HP Proliant Server DL380 G5, Windows Server 2003 SP2 and Oracle 10g version 10.2.0.1.0installed on it.It stops responding at an interval of 7-8 days. The Operating System is not in STOP state; the computer responds to ping command. Before stop responding the Performance Monitor don't show any resource bottleneck. I have to press the POWER button to restart the computer. Can anyone help my?
June 20th, 2008 1:58pm

Hello, There can be lot of reasons which has to be anlalyzed step by step I am listing few troubleshooting technics which might help you. Is this a hard or soft hang? If this is a hard hang, then the odds are that there is an underlying hardware issue, so contact your hardware vendor. Check the Event logs for any events in the System Log at the time of the hang. In the case of Pool Depletion, you will see Event IDs 2019 or 2020 with the Event Source being SRV Launch Performance Monitor and check the starting value for Free System PTEs under the Memory object. If a system is booting up with fewer Free System PTEs than is normal (around 15,000 or fewer), then that is not a good sign. That means that all the PTEs are being consumed at startup leaving fewer resources available for the normal server operations. Set up a Performance Monitor log and let it run for a while. At the very minimum, add the counters for Memory, Process, Processor and System. The length of time that you need to let it run will depend on how long the system takes to hang (assuming that this is happening repeatedly). Set the interval so that you can capture at least a hundred samples over the life of the log. Any low memory condition should be readily apparent - especially if it is a steady leak. Finally, follow the steps in KB Article 244139 to prepare the system to capture a complete memory dump for analysis if needed. ThanksSyed Khairuddin
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
June 20th, 2008 11:51pm

Thank you!Is a soft hard. I suppose a ressource bottleneck.
June 23rd, 2008 10:53am

Is a soft hard ? You mean to say both at once ??and how did you analyzed resource bottleneck?Thanks Syed Khairuddin
June 23rd, 2008 11:25am

Scuse my,I wanted to say soft hang.Sabin
June 24th, 2008 10:47am

hmm in this case Try checking the log files from the HP software you might get a hint Hp System Tools->HP Proliant Integrate Management Log Vieweror else please do refer the articles below.If you really want to see the root cause then you have to generate Memory Dump file to analyze the server hang listed below is the method to generate the Memory Dump file.http://support.microsoft.com/kb/303021http://support.microsoft.com/kb/151981/EN-US/Please do let me know if you need any help.Thanks Syed Khairuddin
June 24th, 2008 12:13pm

Thank You; they had a database problem and now all is OK.S.Patriciu
July 17th, 2008 10:25am

We have many field site servers running server 2008 EE. The following event appears: Sourve: srv Event: 2019 when we find our clients (XP Pro)lose connectivity to the server, its shares, and printer mappings. The only thing we can do is to reboot the server. The servers have the latest ServeRaid 15427 loaded, the latest NIC drivers, etc. These are all File/Print servers.Any help?
March 31st, 2009 10:29pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics