Windows Server 2003 not showing up on the network
I have a Windows Server 2003 which does not show up on the network, although I can ping it, access it while typing in the name and IP address of the server in windows explorer. The Computer Browser option in the Services is Disabled. On the Advanced TCP/IP settings, WINS tab, Enable NETBIOS over TCP/IP is selected. All other servers and computers show up on the network but this one. It has been like that for a long time but it just now started to bother me. It is not a DC but just a file server. When I run the Browstat Status command on the DC, it says that the Master Browser is the DC and that there are 3 Backup server from the master server. What else can be done to fix this problem? Please suggest. Thank you.
March 18th, 2010 7:20pm

If you want for it to show up on the "network" you need to enable the Computer Browser service. Without that service running, it will not show up in the Browse list in Network Neighborhood (or My Network Places depending on the OS).Visit my blog: anITKB.com, an IT Knowledge Base.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
March 18th, 2010 9:23pm

Thank you for the reply. I had thought about enabling the Computer Browser service but when I looked at other servers, some have it enabled and some have it disabled and they all show on the network, so I think it will not work but I will give it a try and will let you know how it goes.
March 18th, 2010 10:39pm

Hi Nikunj, You said "It is not a DC but just a file server". Is it a member server or standalone server ? Thank You.
March 19th, 2010 8:31am

We really need to know how this server is set up. If it is a domain member, it should show up in the domain browse list. If it is in a workgroup it should still show up, but in the workgroup. Are all machines in the same network segment (no routers between machines)? Is Netbios over TCP/IP enabled on the server (TCP/IP properties | Advanced | WINS tab)? Bill
March 19th, 2010 9:22am

Thank you for your replies. @Sandip - It is a member server. @Bill - All the other machines and servers are on the same segment and there are no routers between the machines. "Is Netbios over TCP/IP enabled on the server (TCP/IP properties | Advanced | WINS tab)?" - Yes, it is enabled and I have mentioned it already. Update: Jorge Mederos mentioned in the post above that Computer Browser service should be enabled, so I thought I would go ahead and give it a shot (I have done it before and it didn't work). After enabling that service, the server did show up on the Network, but when I checked this morning, it is not there. Maybe it might help troubleshoot because I have run out of ideas and/or options. Thank you again.
March 19th, 2010 4:25pm

You may want to consider abondoning the "browsing" list concept. During the past ten years, the browse list has consistently been problematic for many organizations. If you notice, the computer browser service is now configured to disabled by default (Vista, 7, 2008). From my experience, it has not work well on networks with a variety of operating systems on multi-segmented networks. I sympathize with you, but I doubt you will be able to generate a list that includes 100% of your clients. Visit my blog: anITKB.com, an IT Knowledge Base.
March 19th, 2010 4:57pm

There has been a lot of discussion over the years about how many machines should run the computer browser service. All the Microsoft documents on this are pretty old, since it is an NT legacy application. If browstat shows there are three backup browsers I can't think of any reason to enable the browser service on any more servers. That should be plenty for a single segment. Bill
March 20th, 2010 5:01am

info for anyone who arrives here - Just been trawling the net for this issue. Found this thread then dug out this MS kb article after finding a peculiar entry in registry called hidden in HKLM\System\CCS\Services\Lanmanserver\parameters: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/265284?p=1 this was a vanilla Win 2K3 install so quite why it is there when it is not in other installs is another one to add to the list of unfathomable Microsoft behavioural characteristics. Anyway, toggled the value and all sorted. G
April 22nd, 2010 1:12pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics