Windows Server 2003 keyboard and Mouse unresponsive at Logon Screen
Hi, I have an IBM x366 server running windows 2003 SP2. No matter how I boot I am not able to get a keyboard/mouse response once the Windows logon screen appears. Details. 1. I have plugged in PS2 Keyboard and Mouse 2. I power on the server 3. I have checked that I get keyboard and mouse working in BIOS 4. I allow Win2003 to boot normally. 5. I have mouse movement available during windows boot up. Right up until the Windows Server Logon box appears. At this point mouse hangs and Keyboard is unrespnsive. I have also tried this with USB keyboard and mouse. I still get the same result. I have also tried to connect via the Servers RSA II remote card. I get the same result. Mouse movement until the windows Logon box. Then mouse hangs.
May 3rd, 2010 12:23am

Can you RDP in and check system event log for errors and Device Manager for bangs? Regards, Dave Patrick .... Microsoft Certified Professional -Microsoft MVP [Windows]
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
May 3rd, 2010 2:28am

Hi, Please test it in Safe Mode: Restart the computer, keep pressing F8 and enter Safe Mode. Will your keyboard and mouse also hang? Please also change another keyboard and mouse to test the result. Can you log on or remote access the computer now? Tim Quan - MSFT
May 3rd, 2010 9:25am

Hi, I have tried safe mode. Still get the same result. I have mouse movement until I touch any key on the keyboard. Then freezes. I have even tried on another set of idential hardware. (Another server of the same model) Still get the same result. I think I must be something to do with the keyboard driver. I unfortunatly cant RDP in as its IP was not documented. Cant get into the OS to ses.
May 6th, 2010 6:30am

You can also connect RDP via the NetBIOS name. Switch logs may give you it's IP address also. Regards, Dave Patrick .... Microsoft Certified Professional -Microsoft MVP [Windows]
May 6th, 2010 6:35am

Thanks everyone for your help. I have abandoned trying to fix this and will just blow the O/S away and start again. Really appreciate all the replies.
May 7th, 2010 3:58am

Hi Guys/Gals, Im having the same problem with 1 of my server. During bios both keyboard and mouse can work. Once the login screen appear, the keyboard not functioning. I can remote to the server but i still cant type to log in. I tried booting to Safe mode. Still the same. Any idea? the server is a Dell poweredge 860 machine. Runs on Window 2003 x32. Thanks!
July 5th, 2010 12:03pm

Did you ever resolve your problem? I have a 2003 server IBM x3200 m2. I can RDP into the server. At the console I can use the keyboard "USB no Ps2 ports on x3200m2" in the bios and I can press F8 to go to safe mode. However as soon as the OS loads the keyboard stops responding even in safe mode. Remotely I have removed all hidden devices, USB devises and HID devices. When customer plugs keyboard back in I can see the HID device install itself and the usb device install. There are no errors pertaining to this in event log that I can find. Any Ideas
May 10th, 2011 10:07am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics