Windows Server 2003 incorrect time display
Hi,I'm working with a new server which has a Windows Server 2003 x64 operating system. After a couple of daysI noticed that the windows time on the server was behind by a few minutes and I synchronized it with time.nist.gov. Now, every four or five day I have to synchronize the server because the time keeps being behind driving my SQL applications crazy. This server is an SQLdatabase server and it is not part of any domain. Any help will be greatly appreciated.Thanks a lot
June 18th, 2009 11:48am

Hi, This issue can be caused by many factors. 1. Please set correct time in BIOS. 2. Synchronize with an Internet time server: a. Start -> Control Panel -> Date and Time. b. On the Internet Time tab, check the box before Automatically synchronize with an Internet time server and select a server in the dropdown menu. If the issue persists, try other servers. 3. Restart the Windows Time service: a. Start -> Administrative Tools -> Services. b. Right-click Windows Time and click Restart. 4. Update your anti-virus program and perform a full virus scan. If the issue still occurs, I am afraid that your CMOS battery is lack of power. Please replace it with a new one. Hope it helps. Tim Quan - MSFT
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
June 18th, 2009 1:19pm

Thank you for your response,I checked the BIOS time and it was correct. I've also tried this option "Automatically synchronize with an Internet time server" option without any luck. About the CMOS battery I think it is useful only when the server is powered down but the server is up and running all the time so windows should keep the time even if the battery is dead.I also have scanned for viruses and found nothing.I'm not sureany more if it's a windowsproblem ora hardware problem. What do you think?Thanks a lot
June 18th, 2009 1:37pm

Hi Try Setting The Time Then: - Disable The Automatically Adjust .... On Time Zone. - No Synchronization With The Internet. Just Manual Setting. Good Luck
June 18th, 2009 2:20pm

Thank you fbuhawia, good idea. I'm going to use this manual settings at least for now but still I need to find the reason why this is happening.Thanks
June 18th, 2009 2:25pm

Try this:Create a batch file with the following line:net time /set \\*name_of_sql_server* /yAdd this batch file to the task scheduler. Run it daily.This won't "fix" the problem but will keep the SQL apps happy
June 18th, 2009 8:27pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics