Windows Server 2003 Updates are not working
Hello Dear Support Please can you help me to sort out the issue for the Windows Updates, I cannot install automatically it is giving me error message " Failed" What can be reason what i need to follow, i tried but couldn't figure out the exact problem Kind Regards, Muneeb
October 17th, 2010 10:56am

Make sure your server is at the latest service pack, and you may want to ensure that your Windows Update client is running the latest version: x86-based versions of Windows: Download WindowsUpdateAgent30-x86.exe (http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=100334) x64-based versions of Windows: Download WindowsUpdateAgent30-x64.exe (http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=100335) In addition, check the server's event logs for any indication of a problem preventing the updates from applying correctly. Visit: anITKB.com, an IT Knowledge Base.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
October 17th, 2010 12:49pm

Hi, Please try below: Step 1: Register DLL files =================== By trying this step, we can check if the update engines are working properly. 1. Close all instances of Internet Explorer. 2. Click Start and Run, type "REGSVR32 ATL.DLL" (without quotes) in the open box and click OK. Note: There is a space between REGSVR32 and ATL.DLL 3. Similarly, one by one, register the files listed below: REGSVR32 MSXML3.DLL REGSVR32 WUAPI.DLL REGSVR32 WUAUENG.DLL REGSVR32 WUAUENG1.DLL REGSVR32 WUPS2.DLL REGSVR32 WUCLTUI.DLL REGSVR32 WUPS.DLL REGSVR32 WUWEB.DLL REGSVR32 QMGR.DLL REGSVR32 QMGRPRXY.DLL REGSVR32 JSCRIPT.DLL Note: Please try and register all the files. While registering each .DLL file you should get a "succeeded" message. If you encounter any error message, please let me know the exact wording. If the issue persists, let's move on to the steps below to verify Windows Update services and temporary folders. Step 2: Verify the relevant Windows Update services ======================================== 1. Click Start->Run, type "services.msc" (without quotation marks) in the open box and click OK. 2. Double click the service "Automatic Updates". 3. Click on the "General" tab; make sure the "Startup Type" is "Automatic". Then please click the button "Stop" under "Service Status" to stop the service. 4. Then please click the button "Start" under "Service Status" to start the service. 5. Please repeat the above steps with another service: Background Intelligent Transfer Service. If it still does not resolve the issue, let's proceed to step 3. Step 3: Reload the Windows Update temporary folder ======================================== One possible cause is that the temporary folder for Windows Update contains corrupted files. Let's erase all the files there to get the system clean. 1. Click Start, Run, type: cmd and press Enter. Please run the following command in the opened window. Net stop WuAuServ 2. Click Start, Run, type: %windir% and press Enter. 3. In the opened folder, rename the folder SoftwareDistribution to Sdold. 4. Click Start, Run, type: cmd and press Enter. Please run the following command in the opened window. Net start WuAuServ Please test the issue again via the Windows Update website and let me know the result. If the issue persists, to clarify the issue and provide more accurate troubleshooting steps, please assist me in collecting the following information. How to capture a screenshot ====================== 1. When the error appears, please press the Print Screen key (PrtScn) on your keyboard. 2. Click Start, click Run, type MSPAINT, and click OK. 3. In Paint, click Paste under the Edit Menu, click Save under the File menu, type a file name for the screenshot, choose JPEG as "Save as type", click "Desktop" on the left pane, and click Save. How to collect System Information ========================== The System Information can provide us with more information about the current status of the system. I would like to check it for you. Please send it to me using the following steps: 1. Click "Start", go to "Run", type in "MSINFO32" (without quotation marks) and press Enter to start System Information. 2. On the popup window, on the menu bar, click "File", and click "Save to"; save it as an NFO file, such as "system.nfo" to your local Desktop. 3. Find the file, right-click on this file, click "Send To", and click "Compressed (zipped) Folder". How to collect the Windows Update log file ================================ Note: Since there are two Windows Update log files with similar names, please be aware that I am requesting the "WindowsUpdate.log" file without a space in the middle of the name. 1. Click on Start, Run and type "WindowsUpdate.log" (without the quotes) 2. Click on the OK button. We will see a file named "WindowsUpdate.log" 3. Now click on the "File" menu and then click on the "Save As" and select "Desktop" in the "Save in" option on the top of the window. 4. Click on the Save button. The file will be saved to your Desktop. Please upload the above files to https://sftus.one.microsoft.com/choosetransfer.aspx?key=0fd9ebfc-9943-44db-9c18-f2bd879208ba Password: hF6!vkC-6QBf4Q Tim Quan
October 19th, 2010 4:28am

Dear Team Thank you very much following issue has been resolved after reading this reply today afternoon, I'm thankful to your consideration. Many thanks, Muneeb
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
February 20th, 2011 1:30pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics