Windows Server 2003 Sharing and Security
My Account department needs to create a folder ACCOUNT to be accessed by all eight Account users. But the seven subfolders(for different subsidiaries)inside the Account folder are only allowed to be accessed by different Account members. The structure is like ACCOUNT> COMPANY A, COMPANY B, COMPANY C, ......, ACCOUNT G. All eight users are allowed to enter ACCOUNT folder, but each user will have different access to enter the subfolders. I have set the ACCOUNT folder to be accessed by all eight users in the Sharing and Security tabs, and each subfolders to be accessed by different users, also in the Sharing and Security tabs. But it seemed that, when the user can enter ACCOUNT folder, this person will be able to access all subfolders. Can someone guide me? Many thanks!
August 31st, 2009 12:04pm

Hello,on the ACCOUNT folder set all users/groups with "List folder contents", except administrators and system, theyhave "Full control", then remove on the subfolders inheritance under advanced permissions with "Copy" and save it. Now you can remove the not wanted users/groups and add the needed users/groups with "Modify" permissions.Make a test share with some test users before implementing to get familiar.Best regards Meinolf Weber Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
August 31st, 2009 12:12pm

Thanks. I tried your suggestion and also many other ways. But it seemed like whenone user has the access to the main folder ACCOUNT, this person will have the access to all the seven subfolders. The only way that I can work out is to remove the Share and Security settings in the ACCOUNT folder, and set the Share andSecurity setting for each of the subfolders. So the users will be able to map the subfolders directly to their Windows XP drives. But this is not what my Account manager wants. He wants all users are allowed to get into the ACCOUNT folder, each userwill have different access to the subfolders.
September 3rd, 2009 6:06am

Hello,please post the share permissions and the NTFS permissions you have configured.Best regards Meinolf Weber Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
September 7th, 2009 2:48pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics