Windows Server 2003 Remote Desktop services Session locks
I am running Windows Server 2003 SP2 as a virtual server hosted on VMware ESX. The server is also running SQL Server 2005. The server is used for hosting of ASP.NET as well as classic ASP websites. The server has 4GB memory and Intel Xeon E5450 @3.0GHz 2.99GHz. The server is running Attix5 backup softwareI had a situation where a user logged on to the server via remote desktop in an admin session. The user was doing some updates on one of the sites that is hosted, so the user was using SQL Server Management Studio and Notepad. Obviously nothing major. When the user was done with what he needed to do, he logged out by using the logoff button on the start menu. Everything seemed to be fine as the logging off message was displayed and the remote desktop screen was closed. But when the user logged in the following morning there was a popup that read something like "You must close all the dialogs before closing this program" (the user can't really remember what the popup said). so the user tried logging off again, but the session seemed to be deadlocked. I was also unable to logoff the user manually by using the Task Manger GUI or with the command line tools. I tried restarting the server and just like the logoff messages, I got the Shutdown, etc. messages, but the server never restarted. It didn't even close network connections or stop any services. The websites were still running, even though the server said that it was shutting down. I had tyo force a shutdown from VMware before I could log on to the server again.So my questions are:1. What would cause a remote desktop session to lock like this?2. Is there any log that is kept from user sessions that could indicate what the cause was?
January 28th, 2010 6:07pm

Hi,You are running memory intense applications such as SQL which requires more virtual memory than you expect , second you are using additional software / applications which are running in background, You might need to launch process explorer to check the applications which were launched in his session. Question =====a) can you try logging in with another user account ? Resaon being , when a successful logoff occurs , his ts session has closed only the threads opened in his session and not the threads launched in non TS session. When a user log's in a corresponding access token would be attached for the user SID , so this token would be valid for all the actions he performs on the system , for ex: accesisng sql with his account ( even though you impersonate ) , accessing backup software etc... When this user logs off , eventually all the opened threads would suspend for this session , there are many services which are active even though you are not logged in , for ex: if you are not logged in you can still ping the system which means that TCP stack is activated and NDIS is reachable. Which mean there were some other applications which were unable to close their threads, and majority of times this would happen with 3rd party applications because of their coding / thread management ( higher view ) b) You need to open up the TS manager and check if the user has successfully logged out ,or else you can manually remove the user form ts manager .Repro====you can restart the server ( if possible ) and launch new TS session and disable all the 3rd party applications using msconfig in TS session mode and then logoff which should give us some idea Also you could check the event viewer for any suspicious event id's being logged.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
February 2nd, 2010 5:30am

Hi ,Did you had a chance to go thorugh my earlier post ?
February 5th, 2010 8:16am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics