Windows Server 2003 R2 Crashed
My Application Server had a virus, when i ran a virus scan with mc afee it asked to restart the server, but in turn the server never started. it passed the dell loading screen and then i get a screen that says, "Windows could not start because of an error in the software. please report this problem as: load needed DLL's for kernel. Please contact your support person to report this problem." I tried running a repair from the Windows Server 2003 R2 CD, and i am getting the same problem, tried running the recovery console, however it is asking for the admin password, i entered the admin password i usually use to log in on it when it was running on the network and it doesn't work. after 3 attempts the server restarts. From most of the research on the internet, it says that the hal.dll and ntoskrnl.exe could be the problem, i tried copying the file from my domain controller which has the same OS and running a live ubuntu CD on the application server and copying the files back to C:\WINDOWS\system32 folder and it still won't start. i am getting the same error, i even tried using the ubuntu linux software to clear the administrator password and tried the recovery console again and it still asks for a password and when i leave the password blank, or try passwords, it still doesn't work. On that server i have Microsoft SQL 2008 installed so i can run Deltek Vision 6.1, is there any way to repair the problem without having to do a fresh install????? Or back up my data. URGENT HELP NEEDED!!!!!!Kevon Heraman
April 13th, 2011 11:55am

Hello, use the Ubuntu disk to copy requried data to USB drive and have it safed this way. Without a backup from BEFORE the virus problem you have to start from scratch which is always recommended after a Virus detection. To start a DC in the DSRM console you have the need for the password that was set during the dcpromo when the server was made domain controller, NOT a domain administrator password. It is not recommended to run applications on a DC, especially not Exchange or SQL. As you are having additional DCs in the domain, make metadata cleanup to remove this DC from the AD database, DNS etc. and then install it fresh and promote it again to DC. http://msmvps.com/blogs/mweber/archive/2010/05/16/active-directory-metadata-cleanup.aspxBest regards Meinolf Weber Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
April 13th, 2011 4:58pm

Hi, I used the Ubuntu Live CD to back up all the data on an External Hard Drive, however it is not a DC server it as an APP Server. People in our other branch connects to our VPN via out ISA Firewall to access the APP server to run an accounting program on the server called Dektek Vision. We have 3 servers, a DC, APP and ISA. The DC is up and running, i got rid of the virus, the only problem with the DC is that i have to restore all the files manually using command line interface. The virus caused all the folders to be hidden as the option to unhide is blacked out. It can only be unhidden via the command line interface. Is the another shorter to deal with this? Besides that, the App server keeps asking for dll's for kernel and isn't booting. I want to know if there is any way to get pass that problem with out having to do a fresh install. Or at least be able to log in to backup my Deltek Vision database. On the APP server that isn't starting "which is asking to load dll's for kernel" which has Windows Server 2003 R2 installed as the OS is running SQL Server 2008. the only way to actually back up the Vision database is by running the SQL Server Management Console. when you go into the SQL server then you can backup Vision Database. If i could get the APP server to boot up and reach Windows just temporarily, i could back up the vision database and then doing a fresh install would not be a problem. could you advise me on this please....... Help in this situation is needed urgently because the APP server has been down for 5 days already. The DC and Firewall was sorted out already. It is just to unhide the folders in the DC. My main issues right now is to get that APP back up and running.Kevon Heraman
April 14th, 2011 5:24pm

kinda new to this, some simple easy instructions would be very helpful.Kevon Heraman
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
April 14th, 2011 5:26pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics