Windows Server 2003 R2 - Windows 7 RDP to server lockup?
Hello All, I have a quick question just want to see if anyone has experienced a similar issue. Connecting to a client's Server 2003 R2 box works fine from any Windows XP RDP session in both sessions with no problems. After the connection we can still log onto the server directly with the servers keyboard and mouse. However if I use my Windows 7 RDP connection to connect to the server I can access it fine in both sessions. The problem exists once I have logged in/out of a session on the server, I can no longer log directly in the server. THe mouse moves, you can use num lock fine and click on help, however ctrl - alt -del doesnt respond to allow me to enter credentials. This only happens once a RDP session has been on the server. We have to power off and restart the server to solve this issue. However even with this issue I can RDP in from a Windows 7 machine and any windows xp machine as if there were no problems even taking the console session which I cannot phsically do infront of the server. I have replaced and swapped out the KBM and keyboard to see if this makes a difference but to no avail. It is interesting as it doesnt affect any of the other R2 servers and if we RDP from them into the box we have no problems, has anyone seen anything like this before? Regards, Michael
June 18th, 2010 6:01am

Hi Michael, This issue looks unusual. According to your description, I suspect this issue might be related to keyboard. What's your server's keyboard type? If it's a USB Keyboard not PS2, please plug it into another USB port to see if it works. In addition, please untick all the "Local devices and resources" options in the Remote Desktop Connection cosole on Windows 7, then test the results. Does the issue persists? Regards, Wilson JiaThis posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Please remember to click Mark as Answer on the post that helps you, and to click Unmark as Answer if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
June 21st, 2010 9:44am

Thanks for the reply Wilson, I have replaced the keyboard directly on the server and even swapped out the usual one that we use in the KBM to control the server. No other servers have this issue adn it only started once we we started RDP'ing in with Windows 7. Very odd! I havent tried untikcing the local devices and resources, however I will give this a go and see if I get anywhere! Cheers, Michael
June 24th, 2010 7:27am

Hi Michael, Thank you for you update. Did you test the result when the keyboard is plugged into server directly without KBM controller? How does it work? Regards, Wilson JiaThis posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Please remember to click Mark as Answer on the post that helps you, and to click Unmark as Answer if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
June 25th, 2010 5:36am

HI Wilson, The issue is resolved thanks for pushing me in the right direction. It didnt occur to me but it appears to be a conflict between RDC with drives/printers attached and connecting to Windows Server 2003 R2 server that has Citrix installed. It didnt occur to me that it would cause the issue, but as Citrix tries to manage drives based on the user connected and its internal system this was causing the lockup. If I dont connect any drives or printers I dont have any issues and it works fantastic. Regards, Michael
July 12th, 2010 6:32am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics