Windows Server 2003 R2; unable to run executables copied from network share
I copied an installation DVD to a Windows 2003 R2 server using a mapped network share. When I log on to the server via VNC and try to run the installer I am given an error message indicating "Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item." This happens only when I try to run executables that were copied over a network share. If I copy the files via a CD, DVD, or USB drive, it works fine. Are there some settings I can change in Windows Server 2003 R2 to fix this issue? Thanks.
September 25th, 2012 8:16pm

You'll want to right-click, properties and unblock them. Regards, Dave Patrick .... Microsoft Certified Professional Microsoft MVP [Windows] Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
September 25th, 2012 9:52pm

You'll want to right-click, properties and unblock them. Regards, Dave Patrick .... Microsoft Certified Professional Microsoft MVP [Windows] Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.
September 25th, 2012 10:03pm

Hello, You can try Method 1: Add the UNC path of the network location to the Trusted sites zone of Windows Internet Explorer 7 Method 2: Disable the Internet Explorer Enhanced Security Configuration setting Refer to: You may be unable to run an executable file or a script file from a UNC path when you have Windows Internet Explorer 7 installed on a Windows Server 2003-based computer http://support.microsoft.com/kb/942091 Does this KB help? Regards, Zhang TechNet Subscriber Support If you are TechNet Subscription user and have any feedback, please send your feedback here.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
September 27th, 2012 12:36am

Hello, You can try Method 1: Add the UNC path of the network location to the Trusted sites zone of Windows Internet Explorer 7 Method 2: Disable the Internet Explorer Enhanced Security Configuration setting Refer to: You may be unable to run an executable file or a script file from a UNC path when you have Windows Internet Explorer 7 installed on a Windows Server 2003-based computer http://support.microsoft.com/kb/942091 Does this KB help? Regards, Zhang TechNet Subscriber Support If you are TechNet Subscription user and have any feedback, please send your feedback here.
September 27th, 2012 12:47am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics