Windows Server 2003 Not Connecting to Windows Update
This is a problem that I have been having for some time now and have been trying to resolve, as it is holding up my Exchange Deployment. I have 3 servers that are all running Windows Server 2003 Enterprise R2, One is running AD, the other I planned on setting up a secondary DNS server, and Exchange on that one as well, and the third will serve as my web server. On 2 of the 3 Machines, I have been able to update the servers with no problems. But for some reason, I cannot contact the windows update service on the third. Here is our layout Router - 10.0.0.1 - Outbound via DHCP (for a couple more weeks) - Also acts as DHCP for non-office equipment (wireless, etc..) | Switch 10.0.0.2 | AD Server 10.0.0.10 DNS/Echange 10.0.0.12 Web Server 10.0.0.11 | Rest of Network I have static IP addresses on all the servers, with the DNS set as 10.0.0.10 and 10.0.0.12. Default Gateway is 10.0.0.1 No WINS The funny thing is, I have no problems contacting sites outside of MS domain. Just microsoft.com based addresses give me problems. When I go to windowsupdate.microsoft.com, I get a redirect to a bing page with the update url listed. Click on that, get a Cannot Find Server error. When I go to update.microsoft.com I just get the error message. I've tried switching to DHCP on the server, same results. Tried switching my DNS Servers to the ISP's - Nothing.. What in the blue blazes is going on here?
November 7th, 2009 1:10am

One possibility is that this one server is infected and the malware is trying to protect itself by disallowing updates and a new Microsoft malware removal tool (update) - there are other possibilities as wellwww.msftmvp.com and VHD tools at www.VMUtil.com
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
November 8th, 2009 2:47am

Sure enough. After running the MSRT, found traces of the Conflicker Worm. Now to figure out where it came from Thanks
November 9th, 2009 6:20pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics