Windows Server 2003 File Share Permissions
We are having some problems in that users accessing files on a shared network drive are on occasion deleting or re-naming files without realising.I am trying to find a way in which I can stop users from deleting or renaming files on the shared network drives unfortunately some users need to have a way of deleting files.Therefore I thought that the best way of doing this would be to create a trash folder on the network drive and have users move the files to this folder which could then be deleted by an administrator on a regular basis. I have had a look at the share permissions and if I remove the Delete and Delete Folder and Subfolder permissions I find that I get the desired effect of the users not being able to rename or delete a file. However a user is not able to move a file to another folder. Is there a way to allow users to move files but not be able to delete or rename them.ThanksChris
June 12th, 2008 4:37pm

Hello, Unfortunately, it is impossible to move files without granting users the delete or rename permission as a move operation is completed by deleting the old file and then creating another one. Instead of trying to configure NTFS permission, if the shares are hosted on Windows Server 2003 server, I suggest that you use Shadow Copies feature to provide point-in-time copies of files on network shares. With shadow copies of shared folders, you can view the contents of network folders as they existed at points of time in the past. This feature may be very beneficial in the following three scenarios: You want to recover files that were accidentally deleted. This is the network equivalent of the Recycle Bin functionality. If you accidentally delete a file, you can open an old version of the file, and then copy it to a safe location. Shadow copies of shared folders can recover files that are deleted by any mechanism, as long as the required history folder exists. You want to recover a file after you accidentally overwrite it. Shadow copies of shared folders can be very useful in environments where you commonly create new files by opening an existing file, making modifications, and then saving the file with a new name. For example, you might open a financial-modeling spreadsheet, make modifications based upon new scenario assumptions, and then save the spreadsheet with a new name to create a new spreadsheet. The problem arises when you forget to save the file by using a new file name, so that the original work is erased. You can use a shadow copy of the shared folder to recover the previous version of the file. You want to check different versions of the same file while you are working on the file. You could use shadow copies of shared folders during the normal work cycle when you want to determine what has changed between two versions of the same file. For example, you might want to see what your original text looked like before you spent time editing the file. To access shadow copies on Windows Server 2003, you can download and install the Shadow Copy client on clients: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=e382358f-33c3-4de7-acd8-a33ac92d295e&DisplayLang=en I hope this helps. :)
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
July 4th, 2008 11:01am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics