Windows Server 2003 Dual Boot - user accounts failed
Hi All, I have a Machine running two installations of Windows Server 2003 SP1 (Dual Boot). Here I will call them windows A, and B. I have got both windows' installed and bootable. I then started up Windows B and moved the pagefile of Windows B off of Boot-A partitition (windows A boot partition) to the partition it boots from (Boot-B), so as each installation is completely separated from the other. I then went to disk management and removed the drive mappings of all drives not associated with windows B, so as when operating in windows B none of the windows A partitions are visible. When removing the Boot-A (C:) partition a message popped up stating that the drive was in use. I chose to continue to remove the drive anyway. After this there was Boot-B (E:), and Data-B (F:). After this i rebooted the system back into windows B. At the login screen I chose the admin account, type password, and OK. The loading windows screen waited a long time at "loading your personal settings".... Then, without actually loading the account, the login dialog immediately swithched to "saving your settings" and returned to the login screen! Now none of the user acounts can be logged into windows B (all behave as above)! So my question is, how can changing the pagefile location or removing a non-boot drive cause the user accounts to fail? Very confused (but somewhat new to all this too). Any help greatly appreciated. Kieran
May 25th, 2009 6:51am

Kieran, Does seem strange, we probably need more information to help with your issue though. Did you install Windows on the same Hard Disk? Or did you use 2 separate hard disks? I am guessing you installed on the same disk using separate partitions? Can you load up ERD Commander and try and reset your password to see what is going on? Regards, Terry
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
May 26th, 2009 2:17am

Hi Kieran, I think that the problem occurred because Windows boot partition drive letter does not match the drive letter assigned during the initial Windows Setup. Windows maintains a record of drive letters in a registry based database and re-assigns drive letters based on Globally Unique Identifiers (GUID) recorded for each volume. Should the volume GUID change or be duplicated (by hard drive cloning software), the original drive letter may not be re-assigned to the boot volume. For more information, please refer to the following Microsoft Knowledge Base article: 249321 Unable to Log on if the Boot Partition Drive Letter Has Changed http://support.microsoft.com/?id=249321 Laura Zhang - MSFT
May 26th, 2009 2:38pm

Thanks Laura,The suggested KB let me onto another KB article 223188. I have changed theDrives' letter assignment by editing the "DosDevice/ " registry items, which has fixed the problem. Thanks again.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
May 29th, 2009 3:54am

Thanks for the reply,I have resolved the issue now. For yourreference I used two seperate disks. I setup one disk first with 3 partitons (one bootable). Then i removed the first disk, configured the second (partly by using disk cloning software), then modified to requirements. The i put in both disks, set the first as the boot disk. After that i changed the Boot.ini file to find the second disk.All is working well now - see my other reply below.Where canI get ERD Commander? it seems it is a powerful tool but Im not sure where i can get a copy. I have been using a Windows Vista PE boot CD for when things go bad.Thanks for your assistance.
May 29th, 2009 4:04am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics