Windows Server 2003 Domain Problems!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Hi,I am running multiple servers through a domain controlled by windows server 2003. My domain name is "AD". All servers (media, file, application, and database) have been successfully connected to this domain. There are two groups that have been created in active directory on the domain controller called "Instructor" and "Student." Permissions have been set on that machine to allow read and write, but my problem is that on the file server, I cannot set permissions for these two groups to read or write because my properties dialog box on the file server cannot find either group even though they clearly have been created and are connected through the domain. I am logged in as a Domain Admin and we do have the same DNS server for both.DNS server is Open BSD using Dyanmic DDNS. We can see AD from file server, but we cannot change the location from file server (local machine) when adding groups/users in share/NTFS permissions (i.e. we cannot add domain users because it is not found in advanced search).Any ideas?
October 27th, 2009 4:51am

Hello,make sure you login on the file server using the domain and not the local account. Just to be clear on the properties make sure you select security tab and on find field, make sure it si users, groups etc and not computersIsaac Oben MCITP:EA, MCSE
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
October 27th, 2009 5:53am

Hi, I am logged in as the domain admin currently and we have tested the other requirements. Any other ideas?
October 27th, 2009 6:10am

Make sure if group type is Security groupwith Domain Local scope.http://www.sysadmins.lv
October 27th, 2009 10:49am

a) remove the file server from domain and return it back and restartb) could you install the Administrative Tools on the file server, log on as the domain user and try to open Active Directory Users and Computers console. do you see the ad contents?c) would you try to use Windows 2003 DNS server? why do you use the Open BSD? this is AD environment witch is the best served with MS developped software. Do you also have you ferrari equipped with engine from citroen?ondrej.
October 31st, 2009 5:04pm

Check the Active Directory Domain Functional Leve (mixed mode, native mode, windows 2003, etc.)http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc787290(WS.10).aspxIf you are running mixed mode then only Global Groups will be available to assign permissions on the Servers. You should use the older NT style security of Global Groups -> Server Local Groups -> PermissionsYou can verify this is the issues by creating two new test groups on Global and one Domain Local. Then try to assign permissions on a remote server to these groups...if only the Global group is listed then you are running Mixed Mode.If you use Native Mode or higher your groups can be Domain Local Groups.
November 1st, 2009 1:35am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics