Windows Server 2003, Virtual Server and Sharepoint together
Hi, I am new, but I have a few questions for which I hope to find an answer.I try to run Sharepoint on a virtual machine in Virtual Server 2005 with Windows Server 2003. For that, I need an internet connection. I have been able to establish that by creating a network with Loopback Adapter and allowing internet connection via the LAN-connection in Vista. I have been able to install dot.net 3 and all other software that is necessary for Sharepoint, and in the end, I have been able to install Sharepoint as well.Now I wanted to add users to Sharepoint. They are rooted in Active Directory, but as soon as I installed AD, there came a DNS-server as well. I lost my internet-connection and could even not start up Sharepoint anymore.What are best practices? How should I configure my TCP/IP-protocols and stuff to work with Sharepoint in a virtual environment?
June 24th, 2008 5:27pm

Active Directory is not compatible with ICS. AD machines need to use their own DNS server, not use the DNS relay service provided by ICS. Virtual Servercan handle this but you are really pushing the limits of your host. I would recommend that you run it on a server OS rather than Vista. You could therun RRAS/NAT instead of ICS. With Vista you would need to run third party NAT software. The only other option is to run the vms on an internal virtual network and run a vm as a router between that network and the physical network. This works fine (and is how my vms are running at present) but means running another vm, putting more strain on the host's memory requiements.Basically you set up your virtual network on an internal virtual network in its own IP subnet. You promote the server to a DC and let it set up its own DNS. You configure the other vms to use the DC for DNS. When this is working, you configure a vm to act as a router between the virtual and physical network. You do not set up DNS relay or the DHCP option on this router,just NAT routing.You then conigure all vms to use this gateway but use the DC for DNS. You configure the DNS server to forward to a public DNS service so that it can resolve foreign URLs as well as handling Active Directory resources.Bill
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
June 25th, 2008 2:42am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics