Windows NT 4 shared folder
I have existing server on Windows NT 4.0 service pack 4 runing legacy application. Previously this is also user domain and have legacy shared folder. Setup new domain on new server running Windows Server 2008 standard edition Service pack 2 Create Active Directory using dcpromo, create users in this AD, establish domain trust to existing Windows NT 4 server. Is it necessary to demote Windows NT 4 to member server. I have joined the existing pc to this new domain and is it possible to access shared folder on windows nt? Will appreciate if someone can help me on that. Thank you very much Raymond raychang
December 19th, 2010 9:19am

comments... On the NT4 platform, it is not possible to DEMOTE or PROMOTE domain controllers. The role of DC is done only during the installation process. Where you able to verify that the trust was created successfully. You generally have to make some changes on the 200x side to allow for these legacy NT 4.0 trusts. Read more: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/942564 If you share a folder on the NT 4.0 server, you should be able to access the share since you indicated that you did successfully establish the trust. Did you try by accessing the server via UNC? You mentioned SP4...You should be at SP6a on the NT4 server. Your best bet is to backup/migrate the DATA and Application off of the NT 4.0 server and rebuild the server from scratch running at least Win 2000. Visit: anITKB.com, an IT Knowledge Base.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
December 19th, 2010 10:42am

If I user domain remain on Windows NT 4, will it affect logon to new domain on the new server running windows 2008 I am able to access the shared folder on windows NT 4 when I joined the new domain but intermittent I cannot access the network path using mapping through unc even i remember the logon user name and password. apology is windows nt4 sp6 I cannot migrate the application because the application only windows nt 4. I notice that I cannot ping my new domain name on windows 2008 new server itself but I am able to ping the computer name and it IP address. Any help on this is much appreciated Raymond raychang
December 19th, 2010 7:25pm

The user domain can remain on NT. If there are trusts in place between the domains, the user can log onto either domain and access resources in either domain (two way external trust) Intermittent access? Sounds like a network connectivity problem. If the trusts are set up its either going to work or not work. If you are having name resolution issues do you have the client DNS settings all pointing to the same DNS infrastructure? Are you fully qualifying the names? NT 4.0 uses NetBIOS as a primary name resolution process. Without fully qualifying, you may have problems resolving. Visit: anITKB.com, an IT Knowledge Base.
December 20th, 2010 9:33pm

Hi, In general, Netlogon secure channels used to create trust relationships and join member computers to Windows or Active Directory domains are not supported between Windows NT 4.0 computers and Windows Server 2008 / Windows Server 2008 R2 computers in any direction because they were not tested. In addition, the AllowNT4Crypto secure default prevents Windows Server 2008 and Windows Server 2008 R2 family of operating systems from being the receiver (but not the initator) of a trust relationship with an NT 4.0 domain until that secure default is manually relaxed using one of the methods described in MSKB article 942564. To workaround this issue, have you tried the steps to allow cryptography algorithms compatible with Windows NT 4.0 “[JM]” provided? The Net Logon service on Windows Server 2008 and on Windows Server 2008 R2 domain controllers does not allow the use of older cryptography algorithms that are compatible with Windows NT 4.0 by default http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;942564 If the trust is created but it cannot work normally, I would like to suggest you refer to the following Microsoft KB article to verify the correct configuration of name resolution. Trust between a Windows NT domain and an Active Directory domain cannot be established or it does not work as expected http://support.microsoft.com/kb/889030 Regards, Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
December 20th, 2010 10:10pm

Thank for your reply I have another issue only one users on the new domain have this "Prompted for Password When Connecting to Windows NT" share folder even I have tried mapping and net use command with remember password checked. The rest of the other 6 user accessing this shared folder do not seem to have this issue. When this particular user logoff and restart her pc, she could see the mapped drive but when she tried to access this shared folder, she will be prompted with password, she need to key in the password manually, she could access this shared folder, the moment she logoff or restart/shutdown her pc she will have this request for password again when she tried to access the shared folder. Happy Holoday and Merry Christmas Raymond Chang raychang
December 24th, 2010 1:48am

To clarify, the resource is in the NT 4.0 domain on an NT 4.0 Server and the user is logging on to the 2008 domain. Since the other users are working as expected, the trust and other settings described above should are most likely configured correctly. Make sure that the NT 4.0 resource has the correct share and NTFS permissions set on the Access Control List (ACL) [right click properties, share and security tab] Share vs NTFS Permissions http://www.anitkb.com/2010/11/share-vs-ntfs-permissions.htmlVisit: anITKB.com, an IT Knowledge Base.
December 24th, 2010 11:25am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics