Windows Load Balancing on Multiple VLAN?

Hi all.  Just wondering if any of you having this same issue as I did.  I've got NLB configured on 2 VM running on Hyper-V.  Each of the VM equiped with 2 NIC.  The NIC for heart beat purpose is configured with Static MAC and with the option "Enable Spoofing for MAC Address" enabled.  Another NIC is for LAN communication purose.  Each of the NIC is reside on a different VLAN (VLANx and VLANy).  After I've got the NLB configured, with "unicast" mode.  I've noticed I am not able to ping the NLB virtual IP address from any of the clients.  Ping works between the NLB hosts, and is accessible.  Once I've put all the NIC into the same VLAN, NLB works fine; I can ping the NLB virtual IP, and test on IIS works good.  My question, does NLB requires all the host to reside in the same VLAN?  If NLB support mulitple VLAN, then how can I configure it to support multiple VLAN (eg: production LAN NIC on VLANx, and heart beat NIC on VLANy)?  Thank you.

October 8th, 2013 11:21pm

Hi,

It seems that we need to use Multicast mode.

Configure Network Load Balancing Cluster Operation Mode

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc731616.aspx

Hope this helps.

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
October 15th, 2013 10:12am

Hi,

I would like to check if you need further assistance.

Thanks.

October 18th, 2013 8:15am

So if it using NLB Unicast, it needs to have two different IP address class configured on each different NICs ?
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
January 14th, 2014 2:41am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics