Windows Live Messenger on WinServer 2008 RC1
Is there a version of Windows Live Messenger/Msn Messengerthat I can install on Windows Server 2008? I am running RC1 and the latest 8.1 does not install and gives out a prompt saying: "Windows Live programs cannot be installed on Windows Server, Windows XP Professional x64 Edition, or Windows operating systems earlier than Windows XP Service Pack 2" Vikram
January 4th, 2008 8:42am

It's by design. So the answer would be no. If you really need instant messaging on your servers you could always run Trillian or some other third party application.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
January 4th, 2008 4:53pm

I just ran into this as well. I've got W2K8 on my laptop with the Hyper-V beta and most everything works except for the live suite (which seems pretty lame if you ask me). I'm looking forward to using Hyper-V to run 64 bit virtual machines for development purposes, so I was hoping this would be a good solution. So far my list of complaints is pretty short: 1) No support for wireless networks in Hyper-V machines. 2) It is a real PITA to get SP2 on to my Windows Server virtuals so that I can install the integration features and get networking. 3) Live applications decided to prevent me from installing them on Windows Server. Everything else seems to work great: IE, Office 2007, etc. Just the Live team has boycotted this version of windows. I'm sure someone will figure out how to trick the installer and get this working.
January 7th, 2008 11:50pm

Update: You can install WLM, but you just need the seperate installer which you can get here: http://www.softpedia.com/get/Internet/Chat/Instant-Messaging/MSN-Messenger-8.shtml That installer works fine. Now I just need to figure out the Live Writer and I'm down to only 2 complaints.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
January 8th, 2008 1:18am

Thanks for the information. Will try it now. Vikram
January 10th, 2008 2:54pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics