Windows Installer Service could not be accessed.
I'm using Vista Home Premium32 bit! I went to click on a link that was sent to me. Said I needed Quick time which I thought I had. But I decided to install the latest version. Downloaded it and when I went to install it, I received a message that Windows Install Service could not be installed. Searched the Internet and found numerous postings and suggestions, none of which helped me. Tried to download something from MS which was suggested and received a message that it didn't pertain to my system. Tried numerous things in SafeMode. Nada! Went into "Services", found MSI and it was set up for manual. Tried auto setting. Nothing. Then when I double clicked on it I got a message that Windows could not start the Windows Installer on Local Computer. I was directed to this site but the posts that were done on this issue date back to October and I could not access any of the links. I have no idea what is going on. I've spent hours on this and don't know what is wrong or what to do. I've tried countless things that I've found on MS and the web and still have the problem. I also did the sfc/scannow from the Command Prompt and that indicated it fixed some issues but couldn't fix all. Has anyone here had this problem and found a simple solution? I finally got so confused with all the postings that I didn't know which steps to take next. Where is the Installer located and can you really download it from MS if you know which one it is? I am running Vista Home Premium SP 2. I understand that the Installer4.5 came with that Service Pack? Can I simply download the Windows Installer 4.5, install it and be on my way. I have a 32 bit system but a couple of folks sent me to a download for either 64 or86 bit? Not smart enough to know what I need. I find it hard to believe that if the file is corrupt that I simply can't download from MS, install it and have things running again. Is it possible to un-install SERVICE PACK2 and have the file restored by re-installing the SP2 again? Thanks.
January 19th, 2010 12:46am

You can downloaded windows installer, version 4.5 can be found here http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=5a58b56f-60b6-4412-95b9-54d056d6f9f4&displaylang=en if you need the 32 bit versions you need the x86 Platform: Windows6.0-KB942288-v2-x86.msu version, x86 = 32 bit. you dont need to uninstall SP2 by the looks of it. I have seen a couple of threads elsewhere that suggest version 4.5 will help allow you to isntall quick time.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
January 19th, 2010 1:32am

I did exactly as you said and I received a pop-up stating: The update does not apply to your system. What in the world is going on. I've tried EVERYTHING and any suggestions I've been able to get. I didn't know you had even replied since I didn't get an email alert. Does this board not have that option? I don't use Windows Live Alerts. Do I need to?
January 19th, 2010 5:30am

Hi, Please understand that this is Windows Server forum. As your issue is related to Windows Vista, I suggest discussing it in our Windows Vista forum. They should be the best resource to troubleshoot your issue. http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/category/windowsvistaitpro/ I hope your issue can be resolved soon. Tim Quan - MSFT
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
January 19th, 2010 7:21am

Thanks. I'm so sorry that I posted to the incorrect site. Someone linked me to THIS site. I suppose they didn't know better either. At least I found out that there is a stand a lone Installer even though it didn't work.
January 19th, 2010 3:20pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics