Windows Explorer has stoped working
When I log in as the administrator, the screen just appear blank without the Start bar and icons.I brough up the Task Manager by pressing Ctrl-Alt-Delete andtried to run explorer.exe as a new task but the an error appeared saying the Windows Explorer has stopped working and Windows is trying to find a solution.How can I solve this problem?
March 19th, 2009 6:08am

hi there, what is the OS you are having trouble with ?Was this working before ?, if so what changed to have the problem appear ?one quick workaround is to boot your system in safe mode and from the boot option select a) last known good configuration second workaround would be to boot the system in safe mode and check if you are experiencing the problem.Explorer is a shell component which doesnt corrupt as such , the only possible woudl be corruption of shell due to a) 3rd party appb) malware / spyware / torjan / virussainath Windows Driver Development
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
March 19th, 2009 6:51am

Hi,Thanks for replying.The OS is Windows Server 2008.Yes, it was working before and nothing has changed. Unless changes due to Windows Auto Update.I have researched on how to boot Windows Server 2008 to safe mode and I don't thick the Safe Mode optionwas checked. So I can't start the system in safe mode.What else can I do?cechong
March 19th, 2009 8:42am

Hello, In order to narrow down the cause of the issue more efficiently, please refer to the following steps to perform a Clean Boot and restart the problematic server in Safe Mode to see if the issue will re-occur Perform a Clean Boot 1. Click "Start", go to "Run", and type "msconfig" in the open box to start the System Configuration Utility. 2. Click the "Services" tab, check the "Hide All Microsoft Services" box and click Disable All (if it is not gray). 3. Click the "Startup" tab, click "Disable All" and click "OK". 4. restart your computer. When the "System Configuration Utility" window appears, please check the box and click "OK". and try logging on.Thanks Syed Khairuddin
March 19th, 2009 9:38am

Hi,Thanks for replying.I can't perform the steps suggested by you because I have no access to the Start Bar.The Windows Explorer has stopped working. Please refer to my initial post for the problem.Any more suggestion?Thankscechong
March 19th, 2009 12:02pm

Hi, To enter Safe Mode, please restart the computer and press F8. Doesthis issue occur if using another account to logon? Tim Quan - MSFT
March 19th, 2009 12:44pm

Hi Tim,Thanks for your suggestion.But at what stage should I press F8 when starting Windows Server 2008?Thankscechong
March 19th, 2009 12:52pm

hi there,restart the system press f8 after bios loads and before windows splash screen appears.or if you are novice keep pressing f8 after restart sainath Windows Driver Development
March 19th, 2009 4:42pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics