Windows Explorer Keeps Closing
I'm at a loss on my next step. I have an old Windows 2000 Server machine that suddenly won't let me access the D: drive in Windows Explorer. It's a separate physical 500GB drive and has been working fine. Now, when I click on the D: in Windows Explorer it shows the folder structure but when I click on one of the folders it locks up and then Explorer closes and all the icons on the desktop disappear for a moment. After a minute or so everything comes back and works fine. This is a production server and people are able to connect and run things off the machine I just can't get to the D: drive from the server. Any ideas?
September 29th, 2010 5:37pm

You should always start by checking the system logs. Also, verify that you are able to access the drive via the command prompt and see the drive in the Disk Management console. Visit: anITKB.com, an IT Knowledge Base.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
September 29th, 2010 6:30pm

Thanks for the ideas. I am able to browse via command prompt and Disk Management shows the drive as OK. I've run sfc /scannow. The log message is: The shell stopped unexpectedly and Explorer.exe was restarted (Event ID: 1002) Everything works fine until I highlight the D: drive and then it shuts down...
September 29th, 2010 7:16pm

Event 1002, I beleive, refers to an "application hang". Not very easy to determine cause of the issue. Over the years, I have lost my patience with these issues that seem to be unresolvable (not that I am implying that this cant be fixed. ) Generally, I try to compare the time it takes to repair the installation (system restore, troubleshooting, re-apply service packs, etc...) vs a new clean install. In this case, you are aware that Windows 2000 is no longer supported. Have you considered upgrading the OS to 2003 or 2008? While this may not be the answer you are looking for, just wondering how important is it to fix it rather than make a business decision to move forward with re-establishing this server with an OS that is still within mainstream support. Visit: anITKB.com, an IT Knowledge Base.
September 29th, 2010 7:27pm

Hi, What type of files are stored in Drive D? I would like to suggest you run ShellExView to check if some third party shell software may cause this issue. Run ShellExView ================= 1. Please download the ShellExView to your Desktop from the following link: http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/shexview.html Note: The third-party product discussed here is manufactured by a company that is independent of Microsoft. We make no warranty, implied or otherwise, regarding this product's performance or reliability. 2. Right-click the shexview.zip file, select "Extract All", and the Extraction Wizard will appear. 3. Select "Next", and under "Files will be extracted to this directory", type "C:\tool" (without the quotation marks). 4. Select "Next" and select "Finish". 5. Locate the directory C:\tool and double click shexview.exe. 6. Run the program and scan the computer. 7. Please press "Ctrl" on the keyboard and click all items which are marked in pink in the list. 8. Please choose "File" then "Disable Selected Items". 9. Quit and restart the computer to check the Windows Explorer issue again. If the issue persists, please also test the issue in Safe Mode and Clean Boot. For more information about how to perform clean-boot troubleshooting for Windows 2000, please refer to the following link: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/281770 What are the results in Safe Mode and Clean Boot? Regards,Please remember to click Mark as Answer on the post that helps you, and to click Unmark as Answer if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
September 30th, 2010 12:31am

Hi, I would like to confirm what is the current situation? If there is anything that I can do for you, please do not hesitate to let me know, and I will be happy to help. Regards, Arthur Li TechNet Subscriber Support in forum If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tngfb@microsoft.com.Please remember to click Mark as Answer on the post that helps you, and to click Unmark as Answer if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
October 3rd, 2010 9:40pm

Hi, It has been a while since my previous suggestions was posted and I'm writing to find out if you have had an opportunity to test my suggestions yet. If you need my further assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know, and I will be happy to help. I look forward to your reply. Regards, Arthur Li TechNet Subscriber Support in forum If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tngfb@microsoft.com.Please remember to click Mark as Answer on the post that helps you, and to click Unmark as Answer if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
October 7th, 2010 9:37pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics