Windows Deployment Services Username & Password not correct

Hi, Just installed Windows Server 2008R2 on our companys new servers.

1 is setup to be AD, DHCP, DNS.

The other server is File Server, WDS ,WSUS and is Joined to the Domain.

I have loaded an boot and install image onto the WDS and prestaged the Workstation in AD.

The workstation will boot and load the boot.wim stage and then asks for locale settings and then prompts for a username and password.

I enter the Domain Administrator Username and password including the domain name (DOMAIN\administrator) it then a message pops up saying

"An error has occurred while processing your request. The specified username or password is not correct."

I have entered it and ensured it was correct.

I created a new user account on the server and left the account disabled. When i tried using this account this time it instead advised me that the account was disabled. after enabling the account and trying again it says username or password is not correct.

I then tried HOSTNAME\administrator as the username and the password and it then prompted me which Windows i wanted to install. but failed to go much further then that.

I then installed WDS onto the Domain controller server and configured the same except setting the required settings for DHCP option 60, etc...

and it booted and accepted the username and password and installed, my problem now is the Domain Controller does not contain a lot of storage so it is not ideal for me to use for WDS.

Can any one please provide insight into why WDS does not like running on the other Server. I have tried searching and cannot seem to find a fix.

August 27th, 2010 6:04am

Hi,

this could be because of insufficient rights to the images. Check if the user has access rights to the images.

Greetings

Christian

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
August 27th, 2010 6:59am

I have checked the permissions of the image files and they all appear to be correct AFAIK. I have even tried adding a Full Control Permissions for Everyone to the Files and and to the Install Image Groups and to the Images under that.

i am still presented with the same problem.

August 27th, 2010 9:28am

Hi Wobblybobz,

When did the client prompt for the username and password, before selecting the install image or after it?

In order to be able to select an install image, the credentials provided in the user interface must be those of a domain account. After a client has been authenticated to the Windows Deployment Services server, the authenticated user must be able to read the install .wim file and Res.rwm file from the RemoteInstall folder. By default, authenticated users have permissions to do so.

Please carefully check the permissions for the install.wim file and res.rwm file.

For more information about the required permissions in WDS, please refer to the article below.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc754005(WS.10).aspx

Regards,

Karen Ji

August 30th, 2010 6:43am

It asks for the Username and password straight after asking for region information but before asking for the Install Images. Just as it does when it was working with WDS on the AD server.

I have checked the Drive Permissions and folder Permissions. The hard Drive Permissions contain the Following

• Everyone (Read & Execute, List Folder Contents, Read)
  • CREATOR OWNER (Special Permissions)
  • SYSTEM (Full Control)
  • Administrators (SVR02\Administrators)    (Full Control)
  • Users (SVR02\Users)     (Read & Execute, List Folder Contents, Read, Special Permissions)

The RemoteInstall folder Security Permissions are as Follows:

• Authenticated Users (Read & Execute, List Folder Contents, Read)
  • SYSTEM  (Full Control)
  • Administrators (SVR02\Administrators)  (Full Control)
  • WDSServer (Full Control)

The RemoteInstall Folders Share Permissions are:

• Authenticated Users (Read)
  • SYSTEM  (Full Control)
  • Administrators (SVR02\Administrators)  (Full Control)
  • WDSServer (Full Control)

Checking the Image Permissions from within WDS MMC App appear to contain the same users with the same permissions as per the RemoteInstall folder.

I'm not sure if it could be the part of the problem but i noticed that when i tried to add the Domain administrator Account to the permissions it looked ok when i applied the settings but then when i went back into the properties it showed two of SVR02\Administrator Accounts instead of also the DOMAIN\Administrator Account.

August 31st, 2010 12:26am

Have got it working now....

What i did was, because after the installation (to the desktop) of the 1st server i created an image, then I Configued Active Directory & DHCP then used the the image to install on the second server then joined the domain. and then as the domain admin added the role for WDS and the install images.

Tried this 2 - 3 times.

after noticing above that when i tried to add the domain administrator it was always reverting to the Local Administrator. i thought it must have been to do with the UID for the Administrator User being the same so permissions were playing up.

This time i re imaged both server from the original then ran sysprep on both and then configured and now it seems to work...

HRRRM got to remember to sysprep my images :(

Thanks to Everyone for their Help

• Marked as answer by wobblybobz Tuesday, August 31, 2010 5:12 AM
August 31st, 2010 5:12am

Hi there

This is a note to anyone who may encounter this problem.

This problem is mainly an authentication issue because when I tried to connect to the WDS server using the local admin account of the WDS server, the connection was made successfully. The problem occurs when using the domain account.

• Proposed as answer by mfathy1 Thursday, June 02, 2011 3:59 AM
June 2nd, 2011 3:59am

Hi there

This is a note to anyone who may encounter this problem.

This problem is mainly an authentication issue because when I tried to connect to the WDS server using the local admin account of the WDS server, the connection was made successfully. The problem occurs when using the domain account.

This is occuring to me for certain PC's only..if i replace the CPU iam able to image..Any suggestions..Bcos the Imaging stuff would be done mostly by contract employees and sharing admin password is not a feasible one...
October 11th, 2011 7:48pm

i would suggest you check the bios of each individual pc and ensure the date and time are set correctly one of the most common reasons why you can't login into the domain is when there is asignificant time difference between the pc and the domain controller. just had this exact problem with an acer webbook i was imaging and i got the exact same error message what it shoudl have said is cant login into the domain cos date and time wrong but i guess good ole microsoft never tohught of including that error message so all you get is username and or password is incorrect as soon as i corrected date and time in bios i could image the machine. the webbook i had was brand new out of the box so you would assume date and time would be right - fortunately i twigged my assumption was wrong - i just worked on the logic what errors stop you logging into the domain as i new my username and password were right - i even went to the extent of using shift f10  and using the command windows to check all the keys were working on the keyboard - error messages are great when they give the right text however when working with wds i guess they have limited the number of options for error text so it does a best guess rather than telling you what you really needed to know

December 23rd, 2011 10:16pm

After trying a few times and failing Ihave found the answer.

Whatever domain you are using to install the operating system into; you need to provide YOUR credentiels to complete the install..For example: My domain = MYDOMAIN  My name= ADAM

When the installation asks for your credentials to create the windows opporating system through pxe in the New Virtual installation I would theb type in  MYDOMAIN\ADAM for the username and then my original password on the Domain account... this has worked for me :)

With the assumption; you can change these usernames after the installation has been fully installed. However, I am going to work on the unattended part where my ADMINISTRATOR account credentials will automatically be placed for future installs.
  • Proposed as answer by Troy120233 Sunday, February 19, 2012 11:14 AM
  • Edited by Troy120233 Sunday, February 19, 2012 11:17 AM
February 19th, 2012 11:14am

Solution that worked for me: 

only running a little home domain, turns out it was windows firewall blocking folder shares, know it sounds silly but if you've got WDS looking for an unattended XML , it wont get to it if the WDS server isn't showing its shares.

Hope that helps 

May 23rd, 2015 9:39am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics