Windows Deployment Services - Access denied when adding driver package to image
Hi, From your description, I noticed that you updated from SQL server 2008 to SQL server 2008 r2. Have you tried to reboot the SQL server before adding the new driver packages to the image? I think it could be checkpoint here. Towards the error message, the “Access is denied”. The issue could be related to the permission issue. Please make sure the file and Drive Store folder, the System had the Full Control and Local Users group Read permission. And please check the members of the Local Users Group. If there are no accounts under the Local Users Group, please add the Domain Admin under the Local Users Group. Then did a log off/logon to verify the issue still remained or not. Regards, JamesJames Xiong TechNet Community Support
December 14th, 2011 12:17pm

Hi, Any Update?James Xiong TechNet Community Support
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
December 25th, 2011 8:12pm

Hi all, This problem has only started happening recently (only server changes was upgrading from sql server 2008 to 2008 r2) but when ever I try to add any driver package to a boot image the process starts but then says the window is not responding for a few seconds then says Acess Denied. I can create new images / delete old ones but not modify them even using driver packages I know that have worked in the past. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
December 25th, 2011 9:54pm

Please refer below links and see if they help. Adding Drivers to Boot.wim in WDS Adding drivers to WDS boot images ~Santosh
December 25th, 2011 11:04pm

Thanks for the reply but I have tried using the AIK , command console and the windows deployment services manager in 2008r2 all return the same access denied. I would prefer not to use a third party tool if its possible.
December 25th, 2011 11:22pm

If you have downloaded drivers from the internet and copied them to a windows 7 or windows 2008 machine to do the import, you may find that the files are being blocked by the file system. You can check this by right-clicking on one of the driver files and choose Properties. If, in the security section of the general tab, the file is shown as blocked (and you can see a button marked "Unblock" ) then you will need to unblock all the driver files before running the DISM /add-driver command. If you have a large number of files to unblock, you can run a program that will mass unblock files for you: Download Steams from http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb897440.aspx Copy steams.exe to a convenient location, right-click on streams.exe and choose properties. Unblock the file by clicking the unblock button. Open a command prompt and CD to the folder where you copied streams.exe. Run the command streams.exe -s -d <path to the files you need unblocked> Once the command has finished all the files will now be unblocked and should import into your WIM file. Ref: Add drivers to offline WIM Hope that helps. ~Santosh
December 25th, 2011 11:32pm

Thanks for the reply again , they were originally downloaded with a windows xp client but I did read something similar to this in another forum so I tried downloading the file on the server it self , still same problem. I checked the security settings none of the files are blocked.
December 26th, 2011 12:13am

Try disabling UAC and IE ESC on Server and then inject the drivers in the image. Turn off User Account Control in Windows 2008 R2 Disable IE ESC ~Santosh
December 26th, 2011 12:22am

This might be a silly question but I am using the domain admin account and in control panel / user accounts I only have change user account control settings and i can take it down to never notify me. Is this the same as disabling it?
December 26th, 2011 12:32am

Disabling UAC completely on server and for single user are two different things. You can try disabling UAC for your domain account however I would still suggest you to disable UAC on Server to isolate the problem.~Santosh
December 26th, 2011 3:23am

Hi, From your description, I noticed that you updated from SQL server 2008 to SQL server 2008 r2. Have you tried to reboot the SQL server before adding the new driver packages to the image? I think it could be checkpoint here. Towards the error message, the “Access is denied”. The issue could be related to the permission issue. Please make sure the file and Drive Store folder, the System had the Full Control and Local Users group Read permission. And please check the members of the Local Users Group. If there are no accounts under the Local Users Group, please add the Domain Admin under the Local Users Group. Then did a log off/logon to verify the issue still remained or not. Regards, JamesJames Xiong TechNet Community Support
December 26th, 2011 4:21am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics