Windows Cannot Log You On error
Hi all, This issue is a nightmare. I saw the other posts and will try one of the suggestions re: changing registry settings.... I am baffled and 'Desperately Seeking Solutions." My error is below. Thanks for any prompt feedback on this. Windows cannot log you on because your profile cannot be loaded. Check that you are connected to the network, or that your network is functioning correctly. If this problem persists, contact your network administrator. DETAIL - Insufficient system resources exist to complete the requested service. For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp. And this message is usually either before, after or somewhere near the above error: Windows was unable to load the registry. This is often caused by insufficient memory or insufficient security rights. DETAIL - Insufficient system resources exist to complete the requested service. for C:\Documents and Settings\tuser.ZEMARC\ntuser.dat For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.
May 5th, 2010 11:08pm

Hi, The steps you found may be the same as descripted in the following KB article. Please have a try: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/935649
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
May 6th, 2010 3:41am

Hi Shaon, Thanks for your reply. I will check it out. Does the KB article also apply to Event ID 1500 (my specific issue)? Another thing....the Registry entries ref'd in the KB do not exist and I will have to create them. Should all users be logged off the server? Thanks for your prompt reply.
May 6th, 2010 8:39pm

Hi, For Event ID 1500, it is mentioned in following article: Windows cannot log you on because your profile cannot be loaded http://www.microsoft.com/technet/support/ee/transform.aspx?ProdName=Windows+Operating+System&ProdVer=5.2&EvtID=1500&EvtSrc=Userenv&LCID=1033 As it mentioned, please let me know if the account you failed to logon is a local account or a roaming account? If it is a roaming account, can you logon the account on another computer?
May 7th, 2010 9:46am

The profiles are 'local' to the server. The users log on using RDP thin-client but can log on from any location. I know it sounds like a roaming profile, but the 2003 server sees them as local. When I tried to logon one of the 'broken' accounts using another machine, I still got the same "Windows Cannot Log You On" message. My last resort 'patch' is to reboot the server, but it isn't practical to do this during our business day. It is a 'hit-n-miss'... doesn't happen everyday and not always the same user(s). I really, really need a solution. re: KB acticle The link for Event ID 1500 doesn't mention modifying the registry. Is it still an option per ID 1505? And, if so, should editing the registry be done with no users on the system?
May 10th, 2010 11:08pm

Hi, Am I correct that the issue occurs on a client computer but not the server system? If so, do you have the password of the local administrator account? The article for Event ID 1500 just provide some possible cause of the error and the things we can check such as permission, memory and disk space etc. As the error mentioned the file "C:\Documents and Settings\tuser.ZEMARC\ntuser.dat", it may be the cause. Do you have any backup of the file or profile (or the system such as system restore point)? Meanwhile, if it is a client account, try backup files (with logon another account) and recreate it if available.
May 11th, 2010 8:10am

Hi, No, not correct. Users connect to my 2003 server using RDP via a Wyse thin-client; no hard drive, etc. Their profiles reside only on the server. And yes, Event ID 1500 only provides possible causes....no solutions. It would not be practical to recreate profiles as the problem doesn't always happen and doesn't guarantee the issue would be gone. I really need to get to the root cause. I will continue to search for a solution (not a patch) until resolved. I welcome more feedback.
May 12th, 2010 8:06pm

Hi Zemarc, each time I Google the above problem, I see your name popping up :) I'm having the same problem. But it only has affected one user; I'm concerned in case it will re-appear. Have you sources a solution? Thanks
July 22nd, 2010 2:35pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics