Windows Backup Image
Hi guys, I use windows backup tool that is included in windows 2008 to backup our server and had checked the enabled recovery option. My question is can i used the windows backup image to be loaded on a virtual machine such as hyper-v or virtual box? Is it possible to do this? Thanks.Every second counts..make use of it.
September 6th, 2011 11:27pm

To restore an image backup to a new Hyper-V VM, do the following: Set up a new host for your machine Create a new VM from within the Hyper-V Manager console. Create a new virtual hard drive and make sure you set it to a size equal or greater than the hard drive of your old machine Before starting your new VM, go back to the Hyper-V Manager console, and edit the settings for this VM. Delete the existing network adapter, and add a Legacy Network Adapter Insert the Windows disc in your DVD drive, capture it in your new VM and start the VM Perform the bare metal restore by choosing to Repair your computer, Complete PC Restore, then Cancel (to ignore the message that no backups could be found), Advanced, then Search for a network backup, and so on. The restore will start, and the computer will reboot when done. Explanation: The regular Network Adapter in Hyper-V requires drivers under Server 2008, meaning that unless you have those drivers installed, you won’t be able to see the network. This means that the Windows Recovery Environment cannot use the network card, so you cannot do a bare-metal restore from a UNC path. The Legacy Network Adapter can be used without drivers, so you can do a bare-metal restore from a UNC path.If you found this post helpful, please "Vote as Helpful". If it answered your question, remember to "Mark as Answer". MCSE,MSCITP-EA
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
September 6th, 2011 11:37pm

Hi, Did you run Windows Server 2008(the one you backuped with Windows Server Backup) on a physical computer or within a virtual machine? To move a Windows installation to a different configuration, you need to do some provision. For more information, you can refer to: How to move a Windows installation to different hardware http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/249694?p=1 By the way, if you want to move the operating system on a physical computer to a virtual machine, you can perform a P2V. Best Regards, Vincent Hu
September 7th, 2011 3:56am

Hi, Did you run Windows Server 2008(the one you backuped with Windows Server Backup) on a physical computer or within a virtual machine? To move a Windows installation to a different configuration, you need to do some provision. For more information, you can refer to: How to move a Windows installation to different hardware http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/249694?p=1 By the way, if you want to move the operating system on a physical computer to a virtual machine, you can perform a P2V. Best Regards, Vincent Hu hi Vincent, I run the Windows Server Backup on a physical computer and I want to install the backup on a virtual machine. it's possible right? sorry what you mean perform a P2V? thanks.Every second counts..make use of it.
September 7th, 2011 10:39pm

You can convert a physical server to virtual server using p2v tool. http://techycentral.com/2009/10/19/free-physical-to-virtual-disk2vhdp2v-tool-for-microsoft-virtual-pc-or-hyper-v/ Once you have a VHD file. Create a new VM in the Hyper V and choose existing Harddisk and choose your vhd file as the path. If you found this post helpful, please "Vote as Helpful". If it answered your question, remember to "Mark as Answer". MCSE,MSCITP-EA
September 8th, 2011 1:05am

Thanks, i don't know about that tool. Good link. it's a pretty cool tool. :)Every second counts..make use of it.
September 8th, 2011 5:41am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics